LCD black screen

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Patricio Zapata, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Patricio Zapata

Has anyone had the following issue:

I was building the big box pro Titan Hybrid, and at first everything was going great. Step 26 proceed without a problem, the lcd screen displayed exactly what It said in the manual.
    When I reach the step 4.2 (commissioning), it was exactly when the problem showed up, the lcd screen shown an all-black display (when I turned the knob, there was no sound at all). I tried a few things to solve the issue, switching cables, change the contrast of the screen, but it didn't change anything.
    Suddenly a couple days later it started working as if nothing happened, I thought a cable was lose or something, anyway I proceed by printing the benchi.gcode file and everything worked beautify. When the print was done and everting was at room temperature, I proceed to remove the glass bed, in order to add some kapton tape. When I put it back the black screen presented again :confused:.

Any ideas why is this happening?
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks and may you have a lovely day :D.
    IMG-20160624-WA0006.jpg

2. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Given the fault finding you have done (did you pull and plug back in both ends of the cables), I would suspect a dry joint, it may not be from your LCD PCB but from your RUMBA (hence checking both ends just in case it is a poor connection). The reasoning for this is after a print the RUMBA PCB will be warmer than normal due to the drivers etc.

I'm guessing the print completes. Do you have Octoprint hooked up?

3. Patricio Zapata

I just did what you recommended, but there was no change at all, could it be that the RUMBA connector is faulty?
    Thanks for the advice :).

And yes I have Octoprint installed

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Can you identify if this only happens when you first switch on, or when you have powered off-on for some reason, or does it happen all of a sudden when printing... or suddenly when the printer has been on for a while?

One possibility is that one of the pins/sockets in the connecting cables is loose or bent or pushed in slightly and isn't making good contact. I can't say that when it occurs could be directly related to that but with intermittent problems anything is possible.

There are a few other posts related to blank screen so worth searching for them, but some at least maybe as the cables were crossed over.

The interesting thing is that it comes back again, so as above, a dry joint, or overheating e.g. of Rumba, or a bad connection are some of the possibilities.

5. Patricio Zapata

At the moment the black screen still persists, it’s been 2 days already. But in both occasions, what it seems to have provoked the failure was turn on the printer for about an hour or so, turn it off, and then when I tried to turn it back on, the black screen appears.

About the loose pins/sockets, at one time I completely switch the cables, but the problem persisted, I also tried other options suggested in the forum but without success.

I appreciate your help, I’ll keep tweaking and moving things, as well as searching more carefully for anything that might be of any help.

Thanks for the advice :).

6. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

So it does not fail if it is working when you switch it on........and you leave it on for a few hours?

It only fails when you have it on for a while (90 minutes say) and then switch it off and on again?

--------------------------
    It could as previously mentioned be a dry joint or getting too hot, are the fans working ok?

For the cost of a new display if you are sure cables and connections are good then getting a replacement could save a lot of time and trouble.

#6 Old_Tafr, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. Patricio Zapata

It's the second one, turn it on (let's say 90 mins.), then turn it off, and the when I turn on again, the problem shows up.
    The fans are working fine.
    I will look up for the replacement.

I really appreciate all of your help :D.