SOLVED LCD not working.

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Syko_Symatic, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I have gotten to the test switch on. I am getting nothing from the LCD. I have tried switching the cables as stated in the wiki but to no avail. Are there any other things I could be missing?

I have double and triple checked all the wiring and found no issues. Starting to think the LCD may be a bit broken!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it get light? You flipped the caps and swapped the wires yes?

Might be a contrast issue

3. Syko_Symatic

No light. I had light once with a constant beep also had it beep 3 times at one point. Other than that nothing. Yes I have switched both ends of the wires but to no avail. Where is the contrast adjustment? From what I can see I gather I may have to remove the front acrylic from the screen to get to the adjuster. Is that correct??

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Right. It's a bit of a pig, but do this. Remove six screws on the lug nuts on the front of the display. Eyeball it first and don't undo anything not directly holding the frame together. There are four connecting the board behind. This lets you get to the board again (and provides a handy spot to get any bit that dropped in to the base that you couldn't get to). Now, look at what you can see. At the opposite side to the dial, you'll see a small white piece of plastic, which is the contrast control. It really only needs to be tweaked very slightly. IIRC, you'll want to rotate it anti clockwise until you see the contents. I was trying to tune mine to be dimmer, but actually ended up with nothing on the display, so I just tweaked it back the other way. You might feel more comfortable doing this with the whole machine off.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you do the step where you removed the plastic connector covers on the lcd and flip them 180?

6. Syko_Symatic

Thank you both for your reply. Sorry for the delay I'm in the UK so it was 1:00am when I downed tools last night. I will give the contrast adjustment a go (thanks for the detailed instructions).

I don't recall the step you are talking about Mike. Can you copy paste it or point me in the direction of it?

Edit: Scratch that! Found the instruction! Yes I missed it. I will do it lunchtime and report back thanks again guys!

#6 Syko_Symatic, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Did you turn the sockets in the LCD around?
    The 1 long beep and no LCD back light sounds a little like it, not sure but without the turn around you might have fried it.

[​IMG]

8. Syko_Symatic

UPDATE: I couldn't wait until lunchtime so I managed to get them quickly switched before I went to work and.....

[​IMG]

It's ALLLLLIIIIVVVEEE!

Thanks all, you've been a great help.

(Ignore the scary children in the background!)

#8 Syko_Symatic, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Mike Kelly and PsyVision like this.
  9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Whoop !! Great news :)

10. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

So what was the problem finally? Just to be sure and guide others.

11. Syko_Symatic

Good Idea!

So as pointed out above the LCD had no image/light at all. I had tried the usual fix (switching the EXP plugs on the rumba) to no avail. After speaking to you bunch of helpful people it appears that I missed the step in the wiki that requires you turn the black plugs/receptacles on the rear of the LCD 180 degrees. After doing this we have life.

Stefan likes this.
  12. George Dossett

why is that usb header 180 out is that the cable then?

13. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Sorry but I do not understand the question.

The reason why we have to rotate the sockets on the LCD is that the Rumba board needs it this way around. I do not know if it a bug or a feature of the Rumba board.