LCD not working.

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Greg Harker, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Try turning the potentiometer a bit? Maybe it's the contrast.

2. Greg Harker

Greg Harker Member

yep i tried that one, thanks for the suggestion though.

3. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Bad LCD cables? Got spare ones you can try?

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I did notice that the green block connectors used for the (yellow) heater wires shown at the bottom of your photo are twisted out of line.

I think has been noted here or elsewhere about the Rumba that these are not secured (to the board) well.

The act of tightening the screws does twist them, I used long nosed pliers to gently hold the plastic as I tightened the screws so the block did not twist.

This I don't think is your problem as there will not be heater power when you first switch on, but it does not help if the connections are either shorted or broken.

Tedious but if you can't fix the problem and there isn't any fault finding information? from whoever (Chinese) make the Rumba then maybe buy another board and start from scratch.

Did you try checking the input voltage (bottom right blue connector block) as the initial checks you did were on the power to other things such as fans and the Pi so proving that there was power to them.

If you are happy using a voltmeter? them turn it to something like 50v DC and measure between the red and black wires on the blue block.

Also look at the setup of the voltages and see if they are there, i.e. the measurement between neutral (furthest left on the blue block and the potentiometer for each motor........... in the instructions a little later on.

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I'd also try unplugging everything from the rumba except the LCD and the main supply, if one of the other connections has been made incorrectly it is possible it is shorting down a supply and stopping the rumba from booting up. Or better still unplug everything from the rumba first, switch to USB power and see if simplify3D would connect to it when just plugged into your PC...then work forward from there.

6. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

In post #13 you wrote about the usb-jumper. The correct position is towards "stand alone" as is on your first picture. Did you do that?

7. Greg Harker

Greg Harker Member

I did try new cables, it was one of my first thoughts as well.

8. Greg Harker

Greg Harker Member

I did try that as well. thanks for the idea.

9. Greg Harker

Greg Harker Member

Tried it on both thanks you

10. Greg Harker

Greg Harker Member

Good Ideas, I will try these on the weekend.

11. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

my display flashes 3 times and each time it flashes it beeps.
    no texts on the display, any ideas?

12. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

On the rumba board the silk screen labelling on EXP1 and EXP2 is wrong (- or the Smart Controller silk screen labeling is wrong?) - and turn each connector by 180°.

13. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

The orientation should be like this

14. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I followed the instructions and reversed the connectors on the board, but still had to reverse the ribbon cables to get the display to come on, after which everything worked. I assume that everyone has to reverse the cables as this seems to come up quite a few times.

What can be added to the WiKi to make this connection problem clearer? CAPS? More bold text? better explanation?

15. Greg Harker

Greg Harker Member

I managed to get the LCD to work it was weird I turn the Z stop around and it works. I must have hooked it up wrong some how but at least I am back on track. Thank you for the help everybody.

16. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Thank you so so much, its 2.21am and i can finally rest knowing my printer is working. Can't thank you enough :D