COMPLETE Led illumination in BigBox

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Rob Heinzonly, Mar 6, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Front power switch, yes yes. Bits like this is the only thing that make me wish I had chosen wood over the acrylic.

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Why just drill a hole... but slooooowww !! :) You can drill hole in acrylic right?

I had to file/rasp the hole to size in lack of a correct drill bit.

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I'm going to, eventually....

4. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

You can drill in acrylic, however, it is best to start with a small drill bit and work your way up, otherwise a big bit will just grab and crack the acrylic.

Rob Heinzonly and Mike Kelly like this.
  5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Stefan : ordered a power switch this morning:

[​IMG]

It's coming from China, so I have to a couple of weeks to build up courage for drilling in the front panel of my white acrylic BigBox. To be continued.

Stefan likes this.
  6. Chase.Wichert

You can also try hole saw, fine tooth, I think that is what I am going to do.

7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Nice to see, I hope it is a good quality one from CN since the DE and UK Amazon says "you get only the real Tought Switch when ordering from drive zero"
    I did order from drive zero so I'm happy, but I found points need to be mentioned.
    1st the plastic ring for the LED looked "used" , had some scratched from the inside, but after install I do not notice them anymore.
    2nd when running the LED @230V which is a feature the button gets a little warm, maybe 30-40C (guess by feeling, not mesured), but that is OK since it has a range fro 12-230V and the energie must go somewere :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drivezero-T...UTF8&qid=1458123467&sr=8-1&keywords=drivezero

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Stefan : About the quality of the switch: time will tell. I will keep you posted :)

9. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

You could I guess drive the LED from the 24v rail. That way it gives you a supply healthy indication rather than just a mains live one.

Also I assume it is made from conductive metal, I'd advise running a continuity test between the button and the outer case and if they complete a circuit then I'd run an earth wire from the case of the switch to mains earth. If the switch ever developed an internal fault like a snapped contact it could become live.

If the button is made of conductive material but doesn't have continuity with the case then personally I wouldn't use it to switch mains unless I can see some sort of exploded diagram which assures it me the button material can never be in electrical contact with any of the switch components.

Aside from the safety consideration, it's also worth bearing in mind for those in the UK that are installing printers in the workplace or in educational institutions, If you fit that switch and don't earth it then the printer (might) fail a PAT inspection, actually it might anyway as I am not sure whether or not the stepper's should be earthed (it's metalwork extending from a space with internal mains wiring to a place where the operator can touch) so it fails the principle of double insulation and therefore technically should be earthed......I think.

10. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to run a USB powered run of 5050 SMD from the Pi? I understand that the Pi pushes 5v 1.2a max. (Amps across all ports), but does the Rumba draw anything from the Pi?

11. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

It depends on the number of LED aka how much current they draw.

12. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

The Pi should not draw current from the Rumba as it has its own supply but the Pi only relays power from the power input connector to the USB connectors, so the available power will depend on the capability of the DC-DC converter up to the recommended maximum for the USB output. I will be using the 24V supply to provide power for illumination as the requirement for the led's is fairly low.

13. Chase.Wichert

UGHHHHH, it won't let me post pictures like it used to...

The (media) tags don't work apparently.

14. Sgllama

Sgllama Active Member

Just so long as it is fog and not smoke, especially not the magic smoke :)