Lifting Layers like a Lip

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Old_Tafr, May 16, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Occasionally with E3D Everyday ABS 245/110 oC I get the first layer not adhering to the bed (Kapton) but just in a few areas or similarly not adhering to the raft if I use one. Where it does lift is as if just one side of a track of print lifts for say 5 mm producing a lip like raised section high enough to just catch the nozzle on the next pass. The rest of the first layer is flat and sticks just fine.

Although this first layer may not adhere at these few places, if I use a raft the raft itself is absolutely perfect and sticks to the bed like glue, each layer flat and level, but then the first layer printed on the raft lifts in places. In both raft and no raft the lifting is fairly random other than it is not at the sides.

Also the very last of say three final complete layers after the infill layers have been completed may have a few lip like raised areas. So in effect it is restricted to the first and last layers of a print.

Nozzle is 0.4 mm s3d parameters are standard except for no cooling at all from print cooling fans and 0.3 mm primary layer height.

In the case of the hybrid carriage for the Titan (the lower part with the holes for the heat sinks) on a print say 1" (2.5 cm) high the final layer is ok. Oddly on the Titan motor mount print the flat layer that the Titan extruder sits just above that surface is so flat it could have been machined that way. (These may have been with 0.1 mm layer height and had very minor lips on the first layer that were levelled out by subsequent layers).

On some smaller shallower prints say 1 cm high (0.3 layer height) the lips appear on the first and last layers, in this case no raft.

I have checked the print quality pages such as the s3d one...

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

and there isn't anything quite like this.

2. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Could it be oily/dirty patches on the bed? Maybe try giving it a scrub with isopropyl or similar?

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

You're using kapton on the glass? The z-sensor is okay with that? If so, good to know! For kapton I recommend wiping it with acetone to clean the surface.

If the print is warp prone (as many designs are when using the warpfest that is ABS), take a small bit of ABS scrap wrap it in a paper towel, and wet the towel with acetone. Immediately, it will dissolve a small amount of the ABS. Wipe the towel on the kapton. It will dry on the kapton instantly, leaving a haze on the surface. ABS will stick to that!

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have become lazy with cleaning when using Kapton on the bed, I used to scrub it clear and clean with some Scotchbrite, but that would not allow for the final layer exhibiting the same behaviour.

I do not put the Kapton over the whole bed, its a 1" wide roll I have over from a previous project (just enough for the print) so it does not affect the IR sensor, although I would agree that the thickness may just be a problem, but a raft (albeit printed more slowly, via default settings in s3d) prints like a dream, flat, smooth, three layers perfectly printed on the Kapton, THEN the next layer on the raft has the lip like effect just in places.

I may used the acetone trick instead of Kapton though, until my wider roll from e3d arrives.