Lite6 bowden retraction

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by calania, Nov 5, 2018.

1. calania

calania Member

Hello, I recently purchased a Lite6 with Bowden and for the most part it is working great! But I have one problem. The "new" wiki says that you can't have retraction more than 2mm even on a Bowden setup but I have noticed that this is way too little for me because I am getting a huge amount of stringing. I looked and saw that on the old wiki they said you could go up to around 6mm with a Bowden tube. So I wonder what is recommended max retraction distance? Also just curious, why would the retraction distance differ between direct drive and Bowden. If you risk sucking in molten plastic on a direct drive with 2 mm retraction why would that also happen on a Bowden? The plastic would still go up with 2 mm, right?

2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Bowden setups usually use more retraction because some is taken up by play between the filament and tube in the bowden tube. The longer the tube, the more is needed to compensate. The more closely the tube fits the filament, the less added retraction would be needed. Too little clearance though and you risk having the filament binding in the tube. 2mm at the extruder will not equate to 2mm at the hotend with a bowden setup.

The exact distance you can safely use will depend on your specific setup because the length of tube and the amount of clearance between filament and tube will affect it. I also don't know which version of the wiki is correct - I'd be willing to try up to maybe 4mm or so, but also look for other things to reduce stringing.

You can try increasing retraction in small increments, but at some point you will eventually retract too far and get jamming. You can also try other ways to reduce stringing, such as maybe lowering the temperature a little, increasing travel speed, whatever settings your slicer offers. Beyond that, the best thing I can suggest is to read some of the posts here and elsewhere and try one thing at a time, noting what seems to be heading in the right direction - it's very rarely one thing that solves the issue, in my experience - and there is frequently more than one workable approach.

3. calania

calania Member

Okay, am right now trying 3.2 mm to see if that makes it any better. I previously had the travel speed at 80mm/s but am now trying 120mm/s witch cura calculated that I should use. Just wonder I were to increase retraction and it would start jamming, I only need to unclog the nozzle right? It hasn't permanently damaged something I hope.

4. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Can't see any way it could do permanent damage. Unclogging should be all you need.

5. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I find that I need to set retraction to about 0.9% of the Bowden tube length plus 1mm, or slightly less when using Capricorn tubing and/or using pressure advance. This is with a standard E3Dv6 hot end.

6. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I normally have retraction set to around 3.00-4.00 on my standard v6 Bigbox bowden with 0 issues

7. calania

calania Member

Have been printing now with retraction set to 3.2mm and travel speed at 120mm/s and it is way less stringing and hasn't clogged jet.

cez likes this.
  8. cez

cez Well-Known Member

If your using s3D and you still have wispy strings you can add a slight coast and this usually nails the last of the issue

9. calania

calania Member

I'm using Cura but I know that the coast feature is present in cura also. Will definitely have a look at it!

cez likes this.