Lite6 Manufacturing Defect

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Murren, May 28, 2018.

1. Murren

Murren Member

Hi,

I received a Lite6 hotend, and it is extremely hard to push the PTFE tube all the way into the throat of the heatsink. There is ringing that can be felt, and is visible, inside the heatsink. The issue I'm having is that the ringing is adding unwanted pressure on the PTFE tube, and as a result the filament passing through. This is leading to unwanted under extrusion at the start of a line after a movement (even with the retraction turned completely off).

I'm not able to get any worthwhile prints out with this hotend. This seems like a manufacturing error since I always hear about how great the E3D manufacturing is compared to the knockoff brands out there.

I've tried to call and email E3D, but I have had not answer.

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Is the ptfe exactly round? I found cutting it with cutters, not with say a very very sharp craft knife, made the end oval. Also some ptfe stored on a tight roll ends up with an almost permanent curve which is very difficult to remove.

Shaping the end with a very smooth file helps a little in making the end round.

Another effect of crushing the ptfe is that the inside isn't round but oval, this restricts the passage of the filament, using a small size drill bit and by hand helps to make the inside dia round again and testing passing filament through shows a marked improvement.

Countersinking the entrance end very slightly also makes feeding the filament through easier (unrelated to this problem) even done on the exit end would be good as the inside can be restricted by the way the ptfe is cut.

I will have a look at a few heat sinks and get back. Checking the internal dia with a drill bit based on the size specified on the drawing would be good. Needs a good set of bits in small sizes and increments. use the shaft end rather than the cutting end may help

If the filament is passing through the ptfe and the ptfe is inside the heat sink and the inside of the heat sink is genuinely too small an ID then (re) drilling yourself is always a possibility.

As I don't use the Lite6 hotend then a picture would be good :)

3. Murren

Murren Member

I'm confident in my cutting of the PTFE tube, and I am using the tube that came with the E3D hotend so it is the correct size. I appreciate that I could buy some drill bit and a drill press to fix this myself, but I was hoping that the one I purchased would be machined properly. Especially since E3D always brags about their quality. I specifically bought an original E3D because I didn't want to deal with cheap knockoffs.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

E3D's lack of response aside, a set of small size drill bits is only a few pounds at most, and most people building things like a 3D printer etc. would already have these and be able to make use of them e.g. cleaning up holes in printed parts.

You don't need a drill press............ although they are very handy :)

If you have no response from E3D then phone them.

Did you find the E3D drawing to see what ID the hole should be?

5. Murren

Murren Member

E3D responded to my email, and were helpful in troubleshooting what could be wrong. I was able to send them pictures of the defect inside the heat sink shaft, and they offered to send me a new part to resolve the problem. They said "one of our engineers thinks this might be due to a worn tool in the machine and that the part slipped through our rigorous Quality Control." Hope to have my printer running again soon!

6. nikki81

nikki81 Member

I have exactly the same problem. the ptfe is way to tight to push to the very end of the heatsink. I have been buying hotends and parts from e3d for a number of years now without any problems staring to think the quality might be slipping a bit

Nikki

7. nikki81

nikki81 Member

This is the ptfe form my new lite6 kit

IMG_3339.JPG

This is a leftover bit of ptfe form a lite6 kit ordered about 8 months ago

IMG_3340.JPG