Loose Filament in the extra box

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

OK, this may seem a totally noob question, but how does one safely print filament not on a spool (e.g. the ones that are in the stretch box). It seems scientifically designed to snarl into a giant gordian knot. (I realize I can print a spool and wind it myself, but figured there might be an easier way)

2. wfredette

wfredette Well-Known Member

Can confirm that it will snarl. I guess winding it on to an old spool or something (like printing a spool as you suggested) would be the best idea.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah "old spool"... Good tip for someone who got his first printer :D (dunno if it is Henry's first but for someone else reading this)

I tried it and failed. One of the sample I printed until the end with no problems. Then I tried dual and it failed... The last complete sampled I spooled on an old spool...

At the moment I have no idea. Find something that might serve as a spool...

4. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

My usual fallback would be making a spool from cardboard, but that won't work on the BB, nor will most of the designs out there for loose filament holders. Hmm, a design challenge!

5. Henry feldman

First non-SLA printer (have a Form1 in the lab). With a sample size of resin, you just pour it in... ;)

6. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Check whether the loops are free and fix it with a loose cable-tie at the back of the printer, that will do.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Either use an old spool, print a spool, or improvise one out of carboard or something....
    Not super helpful if that's all your filament though

8. Henry feldman

Haha. Not my only filament at all, but if it was... It's more just didn't want it to go to waste...