Loose nuts in the y-axis front brackets

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Alex Stevenson, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

In the guide it says "Tip: To get the nut through the round hole drop it in the hole, then use the end of an allen key to level it and use a fixing from the rear to pull it into place." However, when I do this I can't get the nut to stay in place; it just falls out again.

I haven't got that far in the build yet - just working my way through the parts preparation, so I'm not sure how important it is to get those nuts to stay in place.

Does anyone have any tips / advice, or should I just ignore it?

Thanks!

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I dropped the nut in and got it as flat as I could. I then took a long M4 screw, longest I could find in the kit (M4x20 ?) and pushed the allen key end in as far as I could to hold the nut flat, at the same time i screwed an M4 bolt in the back, all the way, to pull the nut into its final place.

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  3. Alex Stevenson

I did that, and screwed it in to place, but they just didn't want to stay in place. I guess it's possible that I was just tightening the bold against the plastic, rather than pulling the nut back far enough - it's hard to tell.

I'll try giving it another go.

4. Alex Stevenson

Thanks @PsyVision, you were right - I was just being too cautious to not overtighten / break the plastic. I just tried again, and pushed each of the nuts further back, and they're all wedged in nicely now!

PsyVision likes this.
  5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Good that you did that. When it came to tightening those screws at the commissioning stage, I figured out I didn't have them in quite as far as I thought I had. I wasn't all that excited about what followed, but was fortunate to get them sorted without dissassembling the whole XY setup.

PsyVision and Alex Stevenson like this.
  6. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I did the same. It was awful if anything I think it'd be worth gluing these in like you do with the nut traps

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I would agree to glueing them. That said, I think the reason they fell out for me as that I hadn't seated them far enough. If I had put the screw through and pulled them back and back and back, eventually they would have been tight in. Accidentally glueing them in a position that wasn't all the way down, or that was not quite at the right angle, could cause more frustration. Imperfect situation. Warning people is maybe the best thing.

#7 Spoon Unit, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Alex Stevenson likes this.
  8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

After the second time they fell out, I pulled them into place with a long screw, and then with superglue on the end of a piece of nylon wire tie, pit a dot (VERY CAREFULLY) onto the side of the nut onto the side wall of the piece. Worked perfectly. (actually I left out the stream of very bad words between those steps)

mike01hu likes this.
  9. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I fabricobbled a slip of credit card and double sided tape to hold the rear bottom one while I got it back in. It was a thing to behold. :D