Lost USB Connectivity from RUMBA

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Bull883, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Bull883

Bull883 Member

Octoprint, the pi, and my pc no longer see my rumba board. Tried a known good usb cable, and tried reflashing the rumba on the via an arudino connected to the isp. Used the USB2Serial.Hex file, but looking for confirmation/advice that I am using the right hex file. I am flashing the 16u2 chip thats in the lower left corner near the actual usb port.

Thanks in advance. Powered the printer off one day to clean out dust, powered on, and no usb connectivity. I can however control via the lcd and print from sd.

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

This is horrible. Its a defect in the design that causes the USB port to stop working. The best instructions I'm aware of are these: http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA#Troubleshooting This happened to several of us. Good luck!

3. Bull883

Bull883 Member

I was reaaaaaaaallly afraid you would say that. If this doesnt work, best place to get a replacement rumba board? My printer WAS solid for almost a year.

4. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Supposedly, they can virtually always be restored. I was ready to fix mine with a hammer so I gave up. Luckily a friend of mine who wasn't already "fed up to here" volunteered to do it and got it working after a couple hours. That whole awful experience is why I ordered a Duet WiFi while I was waiting for him to take a stab at it. The Rumba did work fine after he resurrected the USB port and I used it for several weeks until I was ready to do the Duet WiFi upgrade.

5. Bull883

Bull883 Member

I will try as well, I've got a similar friend that has the same attitude. In the event either of us gets it working I will gladly share the fix in the hopes it helps others.