Luvocom 3F PET CF 9780 vs ColorFabb XT-CF20

Discussion in 'Filament' started by tg73, Dec 16, 2020.

1. tg73

tg73 Member

In the thingiverse page for ASMBL, @Greg Holloway recommends using either Luvocom 3F PET CF 9780 (datasheet) or ColorFabb XT-CF20 (datasheet) filament. I've not been able to find out much about the Luvocom filament from independent sources, such as reviews or independent tests. I don't have the materials science training to meaningfully compare the datasheets or to asses which material is likely to produce better printed parts for use with ASMBL or other tool changer tools, so I'd welcome any informed input on this.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

3. tg73

tg73 Member

I realised that the datasheet link from the colorFabb product page for XT-CF20 is for regular XT. The CF20-specific spec is here. The correct datasheet uses the same ISO 178 test as the Luvocom datasheet. Previously I was confused as to how to compare the results from different test methods.

Luvocom has 8 GPa by method ISO 178
    XT-CF20 has 6.2 GPa by method ISO 178

Also of likely relevance is the service temperature of the printed parts. Luvocom claims temperature resistance up to 125C (this doc says 100C continuous service temperature with peak 125C, and the spec limits 125C to 200h during lifetime). I can't find a stated service temperature for XT-CF20. I see glass transition listed as 80C and ISO 75 heat distortion temp as 75C, so perhaps these figures are representative.

At present I do a lot of ASA printing on my Prusa MK3S of very low height parts (less than 5 layers), so the part cooling fan does not run. I have to remove the ASA fan shroud for these prints otherwise it turns to jelly. So even without a high-temp heated enclosure, the service temperature of un-cooled parts that might be close to a very hot heated bed or nozzle seems relevant.

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

XT-CF20 will be fine. If you print a lot of ASA print it in ASA. It has good heat deflection.