COMPLETE Magnetic Dump Bucket (Because of a Near Disaster)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

The dump bucket on my BigBox Dual 1.0 was always a bit wobbly and worried me a bit. Yesterday it commited suicide and tried to take the whole printer with it. It tilted forward and jammed between the dump bucket brackets and the heated bed.

CRACK!!!! :eek:

Both Perspex brackets snapped! Luckily this doesn't seem to have cracked the rear frame :oops:

I'm not about to risk a repeat of this, and as always there is only one way to proceed... MAGNETS (because magnets make everything better.) Here are the results

IMG_1733.JPG

The four 15x1 mm magnets are glued into recesses in the bracket and dump bucket. The result is the bucket snaps into place, but a few ounces of force will knock the bucket free of the bracket. Note the new dump bucket is extra flimsy to minimize the chance of it somehow breaking anything.

Here's what it looks like assembled
    IMG_1734.JPG

It does not use E3D nut traps. Instead there are holes in the bracket for M3 screws. Run a tap in them and you should be fine. STL files can be found below. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

#1 Ephemeris, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

3. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

I like it!
    Thanks for sharing with the community.

4. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

my 1.1 bucket seems really stable, apparently you're not the first one to have issues with it if its fixed
    also; murphy's law
    the print looks nice and the magnets sure do sound useful for easy emptying