Magnetic heat bed - stick on glass or direct on heater?

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by phoenix, Jun 1, 2023.

1. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

Hey - I have finally decided that it's time to switch away from Glassbed (just seems that everything needs to be just perfect to work first time right) and got myself a magnetic sheet and surface.

What have you done: stick it on top of the glass bed, or removed the glass plate and stick it on the heater?

Probably more efficient on the heater, but wondering if any unevenness will be covered by the self-leveling?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

#1 phoenix, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  2. CosHux

CosHux Member

I haven't performed this upgrade myself yet.
    Though I would attach to the glass to bias a more level print surface versus heat conductivity.

phoenix likes this.
  3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I have a Mandela Rose Works magnetic bed and a Wham Bam flex build plate that fits it. I removed the glass bed from the tool changer and screwed the magnetic bed on top of the existing heater plate, using slightly longer M3 screws than the original ones to allow for the extra thickness of the magnetic bed. It's working well.

4. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

Thanks for sharing DC42 - that looks like a super neat solution! I think I'll glue to the bed to start and pick one of these Mandela Rose beds during my next visit to US ;)

5. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

Three years ago I bought one of these: link
    (it was a bit cheaper then!)

came with aluminum sheet that fit as a glass replacement (lips on the edges that the clips could get to), along with a magnetic self-stick cover and a steel sheet with PEI on one side.

If you can source the aluminum sheet locally and attach it, you can get the magnet and PEI or powder coated sheets from Ali Express (Energetic store).