Major stringing/oozing with lite6

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Matty D, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Matty D

Matty D Member

I just setup my direct drive E3D lite6 hotend (bought from E3D online) on my Printrbot Simple Makers Kit 1405, and I seem to be having major oozing/stringing issues.

Right now I'm working with Makerbot clear PLA and Colorfabb White PLA/PHA.

I've tried printing from 210C all the way down to 175C. When extruding it's very smooth, but continues to ooze slowly after the motor has stopped. I've also tried printing speeds from 50mm/z down to 20mm/s and nothing seems to fix this issue.

Additionally, when I do a cold pull it looks kind of weird. There's a thin leafy bit that branches off the main line of filament (maybe this is a clue?).

When I put in the PTFE lining it it looked like I cut it pretty squarely, and I inserted it so that it couldn't wiggle up and down at all.

This oozing happens even when doing manual extrusions.

Here are some pictures I took...
    The first shows how the hotend continues to ooze after the print has finished.
    The second shows the finished print from above (2 threaded pieces)
    The third and fourth show what happens when I do a cold pull.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Matty D

Matty D Member

... Maybe the PTFE isn't cut squarely enough and a bit of melted filament gets through to the heatbreak... I think that would explain the leafy thin flap of filament. does anyone have any techniques for getting a perfect cut?

I also noticed there is a small ding in the top of the threading of my heat break.... would that be what's causing it?

Attached Files:

#2 Matty D, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I made myself a cutting help based on other designs on Thingiverse. I attached the file because I didn't publish it...
    The tool help a bit, maybe I should make the one side a bit longer... If the tube is then not perfect I sand it, that works pretty well, but sanding can leave some residue on the edges so be sure to clean those again with a sharp cutter...

Attached Files:

#3 Alex9779, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's normal I think, I see the same especially with the Colorfabb PLA/PHA.
    Did you try using retraction?

5. Matty D

Matty D Member

Thanks for the advice, doing a bit of wet sanding helped.

The stringing may have also partially been because I cut my fan shroud that cools the filament after being extruded. This is because the E3D is much shorter than my previous hotend and would have driven the fan shroud into the printbed while printing. However, cutting it shorter prevented the fan from cooling the hot filament properly.... so, I modeled a new one that works better.

If anyone is interested in the extruder/mount and fan shroud I made, it can be downloaded HERE. It's for a Printrbot simple 1405 Makers kit.