Maker's Muse Cube - Or not so cube'ish

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Henry feldman, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So didn't get a great result for the maker's muse cube test. Printing in PLA/PHA with 200/60 at 0.15 with 0.9 ratio. On other things today (such as a nice acme screw/nut combo) were razor sharp with same settings. The base is super clean. Fan was at 100% above layer 2. This was a disaster:

[​IMG]

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Looks like you might have a thin wall issue, I had globby prints like that if the walls got too close because the infill over lap percentage, was trying to put too much plastic in the middle and had no where to go. On the other hand if the walls were a little thicker the print was perfect.

Also I have been able to reduce some of my strings by having the filament retract and follow the path for 4mm, basically wiping the strings on the print.

Do you have it print inside out or outside in and at what speed?

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Hi Henry, I watched Angus's blogs and, according to him, these failures were almost all due to inadequate cooling for PLA. Watching yours shows that the nozzle is catching the upturned edges of the model that have not been cooled quickly enough, so they curl up. He was clear that reducing the extruder temperature was not the answer, as this made the model brittle, so increased cooling was essential. With the BB Titan version, the cooling is rubbish and needs an all-round cooling nozzle that Greg has published a version of. I have yet to make one due to other priorities that do not include 3D printing but I have big project in preparation so will need good performance and Angus's torture test will be put to the test.

4. Henry feldman

Yeah, funny that my other prints have been super sharp (when they work at all). Which of the many cooling ducts are you talking about? Most of them seem to be for Chase's design (which I will do once my SLA printer arrives)

5. mike01hu

Greg's item is here. It gives an almost all-round distribution. I like Chase's design but I am not keen on the diagonal offset and I think it has some extruder cooling issues that a mirrored Titan could address but, until that arrives, that issue will have to wait. The Dual X design is not for me as it eats up bed space.

6. Henry feldman

OK, switched to HTPLA Matte Fiber and added Greg's scoop (made of the matte fiber which looked amazing) and it printed just fine. That surface rough stuff just comes off with a fingernail:

[​IMG]

Spoon Unit likes this.
  7. mike01hu

That looks OK. I will print one for my next job that has bridging, so good cooling is needed.

8. Henry feldman

When you wipe the surface crap off, it's actually quite smooth... The matte HTPLA has a little more wispy hairs than other PLAs but damn it looks amazing as a surface. I'll take a pic of the scoop for the heat brake fan, which looks incredible.

PsyVision likes this.
  9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

That's an awesome print and a great confirmation that better cooling solves the problem. Will definitely need to print that thing then.

10. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Wow. This thread cost me so much pain, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. To cut a long story short:

Improved cooling shroud printed.
    Attempted to fit to encounter z-stop mount in the way.
    Cut that part of the shroud off, sealed with Sugru.
    Then realised the hot ends needed to be rotated 90
    Broke a wire to one of the heater cartridges (pain on so many levels)
    Managed somehow to swap the bowden fed heater cartridge over and swap over heater connections
    Mounted cooling shroud
    Printed

In the end, I think it's clear the improved cooling has benefits as expressed by Mike above and proven by Henry's print. I had printed something very small previously and had 6 out of 8 prints less than satisfactory. With the new cooling shroud, first 3 off the printer are great.

Now, to order a new heater cartridge. Worst thing in my mind is how to swap that over without too much fuss.

mike01hu likes this.