Making it quieter

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by KHH, Nov 18, 2020.

1. KHH

KHH Member

I have been trying to make my TC quieter, as I have apparently grown way too accustomed to the Prusa MK3, so I have been poking around the forums, and basically first targeted the Extruders, as they were sounding like old floppy drives, and they resonate like crazy.

I have set them to 16 steps interpolated, which has made a huge difference! I had to double the steps-per mm from 417 to 834. So is there any downside to using 16 steps with interpolation instead of the 8 steps default?

I tried to reduce the motor power to X and Y, as I saw another forum post where the drivers could be dropped down to 1000 milliamps, but my steppers don't even move at 1000, they don't even move at 1680, so the lowest I could have them still work at was 1800, which made them a little quieter. Has anyone else tried/tested some good values?

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Surely the default is x16 microstepping interpolated? That's what I have always used. x8 microstepping would be very noisy!

3. KHH

KHH Member

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

5. Rene

Rene Active Member

@Greg Holloway Any specific reason for the extruders to be at 8 not 16µS interpolated?

I have mine at i16µS aswell.

6. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Nope, likely a fallback setting from when I used .9 motors. Setting are only a reference and a starting point to get you all going.

7. Rene

Rene Active Member

I issued a pullrequest on config.g :)

8. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

The small Nema 14 round pancake motor being used in the orbiter extruder has a max. number of pulses/sec. that it will step. Does doubling the microsteps used mean that it will affect the max extrusion rate?