COMPLETE Marlin 1.1.8 stock dual direct

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by RoboErectus, Apr 19, 2018.

1. RoboErectus

RoboErectus Member

Hi everyone,

I picked up a partially built Bigbox dual direct kit from the original backer a couple of weeks ago and got it assembled.

The X axis is pretty saggy so I decided to get Marlin 1.1.8 running on it with UBL.

https://github.com/epsalmond/Marlin/tree/bigbox/dual-direct?files=1

It works great. Dual extrusion is pretty decent and there are some quality of life improvements like turning off the heaters after cancelling a print.

I fixed the original BB config files which had a few bad practices in them. Still need to clean up the pins.h for rumba. But this branch should be trivial to rebase from upstream to stay current with future Marlin releases now.

Can't decide if I want to convert the gantry to corexy or ultimaker style (y axis is almost UM oob) with an internal 2020 frame, or replace this wonky over constrained z axis first. Definitely interested in some of these idex mods too!

Cool machine with a lot of character, and I'm excited to be a part of the club!

gonzalo likes this.
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club :) I think you would be the first to try either of those directions with the bigbox. Check out the IDEX thread, you might find it interesting, changes the x from rods to a liner rail.

3. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Hello, are you willing to share your latest marlin build? I am still running RC6 but I want to move to the latest build and keep staying up to date with marlin releases from there.
    Thank you.