Marlin 1.1.8

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Paul Seccombe, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

So I thought I would spend a few hours today playing with Marlin. I have been using @Alex9779 1.1.0-RC6 BBDual for over 18 months (wow - I didn't think it was that long until I checked) and thought it was time to play with the latest 1.1.8 release.

I want to move to an IDEX or more likely a "parked head" system (similar to this) but I'm not convinced moving away from the Rumba is worth it yet (especially with all of the advances with stepper drivers which appear to be going on) so wanted to move to the current latest and greatest Marlin has to offer so I'm in a position to tweak it when I make the hardware changes.

So far I have manual mesh leveling enabled and all appears to be working (with a simple micro switch on the z height). What has taken me the most time to find out is that after a G28 home operation the mesh leveling is turned off! You have to re-enable it with M420 S1 after the G28. I'm not sure the purpose of this functionality but it has been a pain to track down.

What I have yet to do is re-enable the optical z probe and enable one of the auto-mesh leveling functions to see how it performs. I also want to test the LIN_ADVANCE function (note to self - need to reduce the baud rate when I enable this).

I've printed a simple test cube and all looks well. Much more testing is need though,

JvdP likes this.
  2. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Thrust me

Stepping away from rumba and marlin to duet3d was the best thing i ever did with my bigbox

3. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

Hi Paul,

I'd be interested to see how you get on. I'm in the process of ammassing all the parts to convert my machine to IDEX. I still have a Rumba and Marlin. Can't justify to cost of the Duet on top of Titan Aero's linear rails etc.!

4. MyMakibox

MyMakibox Well-Known Member

Hi Paul

could you share your Marlin 1.1.8 configuration? I've been meaning to give it a try also.

5. Paul Seccombe

I enabled linear advance last night and calibrated the K factor (55 if you are interested) but haven't had a chance to run a test print with it enabled.

I'll try and run some tests at the weekend. I'll share the firmware once I've checked it is reasonably stable.

6. Paul Seccombe

I've done some printing this weekend. I've turned linear advance on. To be honest, the calibration code showed a definite difference and that a K factor of 55 was best. During test prints though I've not noticed any real difference between it being on or off. Maybe I'm not printing fast enough (50mm/s) for it to be important. I'll leave it turned on for the time being as it equally doesn't appear to be causing any harm.

Initially I had manual mesh leveling enabled (which is what I have always used) but spent several hours yesterday enabling unified bed leveling (UBL) with the optical sensor re-enabled on the head. The data from the mesh shows the sagging of the rails in the middle of the bed that I was already aware of. I did get a few spurious readings when the mesh was auto-generated but was able to go back and manually correct them.

I have also gone back to using the LokBuild surface which I bought some time ago but had too many problems with it sticking the PETG too well. With the UBL enabled it seems just right. I also figured that this would be a better surface for the optical sensor to trigger from then the glass with UHU gluestick on it.

I'm currently doing quite a large print and have a little bit of lifting in one corner so might need to re-examine the mesh (or turn the bed temperature up) but apart from that, all appears well.

I don't have a fork split on GitHub but if anyone wants a copy of what I have done, just PM me with which version you want (manual mesh or UBL). Be aware that for UBL you will have to do some editing - at very least where your sensor is located relative to the nozzle.

So far I'm pleased with the move - for one I have a better understanding of Marlin so when I do my future upgrades I know what needs to be changed. There are some settings I still want to play with - UBL needs more attention from me and I want to check the repeatably of the optical sensor with M48. I also want to turn on PROBE_DOUBLE_TOUCH to see if this improves the repeatably. I have noticed that my extruder temperature is oscillating more than previously and this is delaying the start of the print as it takes longer to stabilise - I have tried both my original PID settings and tried an autotune - this needs to be looked improved. I might also look at some of my speed settings - I'm sure I can turn some of these up for general homing and non-printing moves (some of this will be firmware some will be Simplify3D settings). I don't want to go too far though as I still want to move to a new X-Y carriage design with linear rails. @Greg Holloway how are the Hiwin linear rails you mentioned - which model exactly did you try?

7. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Genuine Hiwin are way better than Misumi. I have been using MGN12, you can also get cheapo chinese ones, which are worse than the misumi ones.

8. Paul Seccombe

@Greg Holloway - what precision and pre-load options did you select? I would prefer to use options which have already been proven.

9. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

It would have been light preload, precision I can't remember.

Paul Seccombe likes this.
  10. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Paul, can you put your changes on Github as forks? I'd like to run with it and get my BB up to the latest - it's been too long since I've updated my firmware.

gearmesh likes this.
  11. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

Ditto on this!

12. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I'm working on my own branch now, will update when I get it working.

13. Paul Seccombe

Sorry, I've not had the time to creat a github fork - not done that before so would need to investigate.
    I can report that 1.1.8 appears to be working fine though.

14. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I just got 1.1.8 working.

Here is my branch that I am keeping up to date: https://github.com/mosh1/Marlin/tree/BigBox/Pro/RC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL_TMC2100Steppers

Keep in mind I am running Trinamic 2100 Steppers so have a few changes to account for that. Pay attention to steps per mm and the direction and make sure it's right on your machine if you do not upgrade to Trinamic steppers. Also I am running single extruder hybrid. I've enabled Unified Bed Leveling and it works well. Read the tutorial on how to use: http://marlinfw.org/docs/features/unified_bed_leveling.html

I also have some custom changes made to to the LCD Menus (nice features such as loading, unload filament, etc).

If you need to make changes please fork it so we can keep track of changes.

Let me know how it works out.

15. MyMakibox

Thanks Moshen - I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.

16. MyMakibox

I have the TMC2100s as well, and was wondering what modifications you did for them. They've been working great as drop-in replacements so far.

17. MyMakibox

Moshen - Some initial feedback:

First, it might be a coincidence but my radial cooling fan literally went up in smoke. I then plugged in the Rumba cooling fan into the cooling fan pins, and it seems to receive a constant 24V - not to be managed by Marlin's cooling fan settings. That could be because my Rumba is now damaged. But please check your pin assignments etc just in case. It might connected that I'm also getting a lot of system halts from maxtemp at the moment.

Second, I love the new interface, especially the way z-offset can be tuned on the fly and is saved. Unified bed levelling did not work for me until I followed the tutorial you linked and re-wrote flash memory. Generally, the upgrade gives big step up in usability.

18. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Oh man, sorry about your fan. I did not change anything with pin assignments - they were all left as in the original BigBox config so I think it's most likely coincidence.

I agree it's a big upgrade in interface, both with what comes with 1.1.8 and I also added a few things and re-ordered some of the menus to make it more user friendly for myself. If you have suggested additions let me know. I most frequently use the Load/Unload filament menu items I added.

UBL is a massive improvement in usability as well. I love it.

19. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I don't exactly remember what I changed it was a while back, but I changed a few jumper settings. The micro stepping settings I think and had to change the appropriate values in Marlin. Whatever I did, it was because supposedly it was an improvement :)

You can find and backtrack my Configuration.h changes:

https://github.com/mosh1/Marlin/com...0Steppers/Marlin/Configuration.h?author=mosh1

20. MyMakibox

I found UBL too fiddly, and went back to linear!

Because I'm using a Bowden setup, linear advance looks really valuable. It reduces inconsistencies in extrusion due to acceleration and deceleration. I've tuned it using the k-factor calibration pattern and will see how that goes.