Marlin 1.1.9 firmware for BigBox Pro

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by metajack, Jan 1, 2019.

1. metajack

metajack Member

I moved last year to Minneapolis and haven't had a chance to get the BigBox up and running since. Since I had a bunch of free time over the holiday I figured I'd get it dialed in. As part of doing that I went ahead and forward ported the BigBox patches to Marlin to the latest 1.1.9 release, including some fixes since the way Marlin did a few things has changed.

You can find my work here: https://github.com/metajack/marlin-bigboxpro/tree/bigboxpro-1.1.x (note that you want the bigboxpro-1.1.x branch, not my old rc6 branch). There's a pre-built firmware hex in there as well:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/metajack/marlin-bigboxpro/bigboxpro-1.1.x/bigboxpro-1.1.9.hex

Everything seems to work quite well, and I'm doing a 3Dbenchy print as I type this.

Note that this uses auto bed leveling in bilinear mode, doing each probe 3x and averaging them. Also, I can't get the bootscreen logo looking right for some reason, but haven't had a chance to debug that. If someone has the original image that was used, I can use the tool to make a new one.

Happy Holidays!

moshen, Mike Kelly and Bo Petersen like this.
  2. Bo Petersen

Bo Petersen New Member

installed it via PlatformIO, it just works, although i had to disabled Automatic Bed Leveling and rerun a PID for both nozzle and bed.

so far its working great with no issues, Linear Advance works like a charm and the whole reason why i upgraded ;) thanks for the bigbox edit ;)

//Bo

3. metajack

metajack Member

I just pushed a minor update which turns on the new S-curve acceleration and M73 progress reporting.

Is LIN_ADVANCE improving your prints? What did you set the LIN_ADVANCE_K to?

4. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Hi I just tried flashing it to my Bigbox Pro (its been a while since I have used it last.) The version number at start up still says "1.10 RC3" I flashed the HEX file through xloader. Just wanted to confirm whether this is normal or not.

5. metajack

metajack Member

I just double checked the firmware binary, and could not find the strings "RC3" or "1.10" in there at all. I suspect that the firmware update failed and you are still on whatever version you had installed. The version string I set in the code is "1.1.9-bbp".

6. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Yeah the upload must have failed. I compiled and uploaded through the arduino IDE and now shows the correct version number. Tho the logo is garbled.

7. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Is there anything like this out there for the hybrid dual titan?

8. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

Cez, you’re welcome to give my branch a go.
    For some time now i has been running my own 1.1.x BugFix branch. Regularly merging the main marlin changes into my fork.

Although I have modified it a little, adding/tweaking the code for my own BigBox customisations eg Dock, XY plane testing, inverting the default behaviour when you change tools (T0/T1) so that the head doesn’t move. (these things can be dis/enabled in “BigBoxCustomisations.h”)

have a look at
    https://github.com/autonumous/MarlinFirmware-BigBoxV1.1

my main branches are:
    • DHT_BF1.1.x_dev is my dev branch, tracking the current Marlin bugfix-1.1.x branch. I tend to update this every so often
    • 1.1.9-BigBox is the Marlin 1.1.9 release (actually tracking the 1.1.x branch). I update this when changes have been made to the marlin 1.1.x branch

Marlin Development on the 1.1.x line has slowed/halted, in favour of the new 2.0.x.
    I've recently merged my tweaks with the Marlin 2.0.x branch, DHT_BF2.0.x_dev on my GitHub, but I’ve not tested anything.

I'm also use a slightly tweaked version of tohara’s octopi plugin “BigBox Firmware Flasher” to allow compiling/flashing from the pi. A word of waning, on many occasions i have enabled too many options resulting in a firmware file exceeding the limit, resulting in me bricking my RUMBA. Luckily not totally bricked, simply requires refreshing using a ISCP programmer but just hassle.

I can upload a precompiled firmware if you like, although these are based on my printer and how i’ve been playing/testing with things, so YMMV. ie I’m not responsible for any thing breaking :)

not sure how long I will stick with Marlin as i recently bought a Duet board and plan to covert to IDEX.

Paul

cez likes this.