IN DEVELOPMENT Marlin 2.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by jet, May 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, finally got some PPE down time and have started working on a port of marlin 2: https://github.com/allartburns/Marlin

Branch is "bigbox" and I'm testing it now on a dual hybrid. I can build ok on my Win10 box but MacOS and Linux builds hang on the temperature.cpp file. (I filed a bug over at Arduino to cover that.)

So far all I've done is verify it works with Octoprint and that I can extrude/retract from both extruders thru Octoprint. I need to go for a covid-19 cabin fever walk and ponder some remote teaching questions but I'll try printing this afternoon/evening.

2. onlyDave

onlyDave Member

3. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Good news!

The problem I'm having turns out to happen on all three platforms with dual extruders. There's a bug in the CPP stage of avr gcc that's causing it to hang indefinitely, I'm going to build avrdude from source and see if I can track it down.

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Looks like bug is in the Marlin software, not avrdude. If you have N extruders that meas you have N cooling fans on N pins, on the BigBox it's actually 2, 1, 1, not n, n, n;

5. jet

jet Well-Known Member

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Fans aren't turning on automatically when the extruders get hot. You can still turn them on/off with M106.

7. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Progress! Switched to Visual Studio Code, marlin-2 is now compiling and running. All I've done are some basic tests, but I think the bugfix-bigbox branch is ready for others to try.

8. Russell

Russell Member

I heard it was not worth trying Marlin 2.0 on the 8bit Rumba, did you have any issues around that? And are you on Pro or Dual? Im on Pro.

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I'm on Hybrid Dual. I had to put it aside for a few weeks while I did some work-for-money but I hope to get back on it next week.

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Made some more tweaks and just printed a 10x10x10 cube in PLA. There's something wonky after the print finishes and the cleanup extrude/retraction in the dock. I had to make some tweaks so the head can go outside the bed, not sure if I introduced a bug or found a new one.

I need to work on the laser cutter in the garage to do some Etsy sales today but I'll try more prints tonight or tomorrow.