max temp error

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by RSharp, Jan 13, 2017.

1. RSharp

RSharp Member

Hello,
    I just joined! I purchased a prebuilt Big Box and it worked nicely for about 15 prints right out of the box. I started getting a problem where the melted filament would back up into the heat sink, and clog the printer, strip the extruder, etc. I decided to switch out to the volcano. After carefully following the assembly directions and turning it on, I get a MAX TEMP error. I don't know where to go from here. I have a multimeter but can't quite figure out how to check the resistance on the different components.

Can someone please help? I would really appreciate it!

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Max or min temp errors usually mean there is a missing or loose connection somewhere.

I would start by just double checking that the extruder(or extruders) are connected properly, and also double check the bed as well as this is another temp sensor and might have been knocked out/come loose with the changes.

3. RSharp

RSharp Member

Thanks for your response Pierce! Here is a picture of my printer. I didn't change any connections to the board or the bed. The connections to the bed look secure. Is there a way to check connectivity or resistance from the connections at the board using a multimeter? Is there a schematic of the board available, or a photo of how it is supposed to look when assembled from the factory?
    The small blue braided wires that tuck into the hot end were assembled very carefully, but perhaps they are the problem? I didn't understand the chart provided in Wiki to check the resistance. Perhaps you or someone else could explain?

Again...thank you...thank you for your assistance!

Attached Files:

4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

No problem everyone needs to ask questions and this forum is very helpful!

The wiring diagram is here from the wiki http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Big...p_Assembly_Process#.2825.1.29_Single_Extruder
    Well the board wiring, or did you mean how the hotend is wired?

There is a way to check resistance but I have never had to do this, my problems have always been me knocking a wire loose or forgetting to plug something in :) I am sure some of the others on the forum can pitch in with advice

5. RSharp

RSharp Member

So I guess what I was trying to explain with the "blue braided wires" was the assembly of the thermistor (old style). I was careful with the bead and insulation. Is there a way to check if there is a problem with it without disassembly?

Perhaps my mistake was using the original heater cartridge that was supplied with the E3D-v6 hot end. I thought I read that I could use the original heater cartridge. I didn't want to have to chase the new wires back through and down to the circuit board. The Volcano came with a new heater cartridge with blue braided wire. I also want to use the Wiki chart to check the resistance. I don't know which reading to use on the chart for Blue Leads, 25w or 30w. Does someone know?

Can anyone help me with these questions? I would be so grateful!

6. RSharp

RSharp Member

The link to the wiring is very helpful. Any thoughts about using the new heater cartridge with blue leads?

Thank you

7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

If you are saying you are using the old thermistor then that is not correct as the BigBox uses a different style, the PT100, and that is connected to a separate amplifier before the motherboard. If your volcano was from a separate kit then you may well have the wrong type and this will give you that error.

RSharp likes this.
  8. RSharp

RSharp Member

OK. So I purchased the "Volcano Eruption Pack" from E3d. This included the "old style" thermistor. I ordered it at the same time I purchased the Big Box, so I assumed it was compatible. Not only does it have the old style thermistor, it also came with a 12v 30w heater cartridge (blue leads), which looks like it is also wrong since the original heater cartridge is a 24v 30w (yellow leads). Have I been sent the wrong Volcano Eruption Pack for my Big Box? Do they make the right one for my Big Box 24v system?
    I appreciate any feedback!

9. RSharp

RSharp Member

OK, I found a solution on the www.matterhackers.com website. Since I am in the US, it is a cheaper option than coming from England.
    They have a stand alone E3D v6 Volcano Block machined for sensor cartridges. I will purchase this along with a new E3d PT100 temperature sensor for good measure. Thanks for everyone's help!

mike01hu and Pierce like this.