Mesh levelling on Dual

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by SimonJGreen, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

I have an original Kickstarter reward dual.

I'm trying to complete the commissioning section of the build instructions, and I've got to the mesh levelling bit (here: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Printer_Commissioning#.289.2.29_Mesh_Levelling_the_Dual) and it says to use Level Bed from the Prepare menu, but there is not level bed option! I'm using the firmware from E3D Firmware repo (here: https://github.com/BigBox3D/Firmware) as suggested in the instructions (here: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Software).

Looking in the E3D Marlin repo it shows that 9 days ago the mesh levelling was disabled. (here: https://github.com/BigBox3D/Marlin/blame/RC/Marlin/Configuration.h#L527)

So, I'm assuming that the current best configuration has overtaken the written instructions. In which case, how SHOULD I be doing bed levelling?

Thanks in advance.

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Did you put the Pro firmware on? The Pro is auto, while the dual is mbl. The other solution is to download @Alex9779's firmware...

3. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

You can use auto if you want, but if you want to use mesh leveling, all you have to do is enable it and use that. It is more of a preference.

4. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

The file was called marlin_direct_dual.hex
    Where do I download the right .hex from @Alex9779? I've tried downloading his RC6 (here: https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin/releases/tag/1.1.0-RC6) and compiling that and writing, but it wouldn't boot with that on (screen just stays blank).

How do I run auto levelling though? There is no option there in the Prepare menu.

5. Chase.Wichert

6. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow I am blocked! :D

8. Chase.Wichert

Yeah, something Adult Content something.... ;)

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

We have an open issue with those firmwares when doing dual prints... Update is pending... Expect to update it again within the next few days if you want to print with dual...

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol

11. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

Is the problem to do with losing settings? It seems to lose the mesh bed calibration even though it's in the eprom. If I do an m501 I can see the settings there.

Also, after doing the mesh calibration the z at each point seems approximately 2mm higher than it should be.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No it is a movement problem. A fix introduced that switching tools will move the head...

13. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

Ah yes I've seen that. As soon as I issue T1 it starts to slowly move the head over.

So would you expect the RC6 firmware from your Jenkins to work for single nozzle printing on a bigbox dual right now? I'm using simplify 3d with the profile from the wiki.

Also, is mesh levelling the right thing to do with rc6 of it keeps losing the mesh? Or should I be doing something else?

Or for best reliability is there a different version altogether I should be running?

Sorry for all the questions!

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No problem. My versions are fine for single nozzle. With my profiles I even had noproblem doing a dual because the Hybrid head has just enough space to do that move in the dock.
    I had no problems with loosing the mesh because as far as I understood this happens only if you home individual axes what I do not do normally...

15. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

So what is your normal routine for a print from cold start? And do you have any pre/post job modifications you make in gcode?

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I do literally nothing. I put on the box and start the print with a file sliced with my profiles. The profiles are designed so that everything should be done right. After a print the printer is left in a state that is equal to a cold start so the next print can go out again the same way. Just start it... That's what I expect it to be. And so far it worked for me pretty well with my profiles and firmwares...

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

To prepare the printer upon a new firmware or to releveled the bed I just reset the firmware to defaults save the settings level the bed save the settings...

18. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

Do you have any homing process at the start of the guide?

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Homing is done in the start script.
    In the prep stage homing is done when you start mesh leveling...

20. SimonJGreen

SimonJGreen Member

So, just to be clear, you've got s3d set up to add a g28 at the start of each job, and that doesn't clear the mesh levelling? Would you mind sharing your fff from s3d?