Minimum Operating Dimensions?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Yakiimo, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Could someone tell me the minimum operating dimensions for the BigBox? I am trying to figure out if it will fit in the limited space I have available, especially if I end up buying or making an enclosure for it.

I found the unit footprint (550 x 490mm) but there are a few details I couldn't find out:

1) Does the footprint include the space needed for the reel on the back?

2) Does the reel have to be on the back or is the location flexible?

3) What is the operating height including the arch of the filament?

Anything else I should be aware of when looking for an enclosure?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Greg posted this on the community page:

"
    Hi Eric, the BigBox would sit perfectly on a space 560mm wide, 550 deep and with 850mm room on top.

The width i listed at 560 is a little over the actual size of 550 to give some breathing space. The depth is 423 without any of the rear spine attached, add a spool and you'll need to increase that.

But, the actual area the feet require is ~520 wide and ~400 deep as they sit inside of the base.
    "

Yakiimo likes this.
  3. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. That height is unfortunate for enclosures - I will definitely need to either make a custom one or get a different printer : (

Is this the community page you mentioned? It's so much more active than the forum. I was wondering where everybody was actually talking.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yup that's it. We're trying to get both going which will happen once people get their printers

5. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Can someone with the printer fully assembled confirm that operating height? It seems like a lot and makes a big difference in whether I can even consider the BigBox or not.

6. elmuchacho

elmuchacho Member

Don't forget that the spool holder are behind the printer and you need to access it to swap filament!

7. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Yeah! Another issue to consider. Thank you. I wonder if the design would allow me to mount the filament on top of the enclosure or offset to the back outside of the enclosure? Probably a good idea anyway to keep the filament from heating up.

8. elmuchacho

elmuchacho Member

Based on what you describe I'm in a similar situation (for less height to play with and a bit more width). Based on the instruction manual the spool holder as a relatively simple fixation systems and could be mounted to the side of the printer, however I might end up not using it altogether and use a custom spool holder on the side of the machine instead

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

I have one, the number is closer to 775mm but much less than that and you'll start to touch the filament tube coming out of the top of the extruder.

10. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Great information. Thank you for checking it. Unless I build a custom enclosure the only thing I have seen that would fit it then is the 800mm version of this. It would be tight but still fit. It doesn't fit at all within my budget unfortunately.

11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I like those enclosures. while the price is high, that is less an issue for me than the fact that I can't imagine how you could sanely change filament. Especially on a dual, that would be horrible.I suppose you could abandon the built in filament pathway and use their hooks, but not sure the implications of doing so. If the top hinged open, then that would work, but given they are stackable I am assuming the top is locked in place.

12. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

I'm not totally sure, but I think every side except the bottom is actually a door:

You can see what look like handles on the sides and top as well.

13. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I think you are correct. In the specs they refer to "5 door panels". That changes a lot. I will note this thing is HEAVY!