Misaligned and can't fix it

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Vaei, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Vaei

Vaei Member

I'm rather frustrated and if I can get away with being blunt I'll start with - this is the worst extruder I've ever used, and the Anet A8 extruder was faulty - the cheap $15 chinese replacement was far superior.

So maybe mine is also faulty. I purchased mine from Makershop.co.nz as NZ shipping takes a long time from overseas, being so far away. We live in a first world country with businesses as honest as you could hope for (certainly more honest than the US) and no one willing to risk infringements - so maybe it's counterfeit, but it doesn't look it, and it has that shiny genuine logo too.

I have consumed all the reading material I can find on installing the Titan and would like to believe I'm reasonably informed, so maybe I missed something or maybe the documentation did, I don't know.

The issue: Filament stops being fed through part way through a print, prior to that it works beautifully. Eventually it seems the lack of proper grip causes it to stop going through and it chomps the filament.

The origin of the issue stems from the big gear sitting too close to the motor/extruder mount and the bearing (and thus the feeding hole) being too far out from the motor mount - However I see no way to space this. The large gear is sitting perfectly flush with the pinion gear as per the instructions. If I want to make them flush, I have to then conclude that all assembly instructions are wrong and put the pinion gear too far forward.

Since my mount is 3mm thickness, as per the wiki (still has tons of info the docs don't) I tried printing a 4mm spacer (jammed on the last layer, but works perfectly regardless) and used the longer provided screws.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow as I can't produce sufficient light (sorry).

2. Vaei

Vaei Member

Took some pictures

Failed print with nozzle continuing in the air and no longer extruding

[​IMG]

Unalignable large gear with shaved filament

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Short question, what is your retraction distance ?

4. veng1

veng1 Member

Looks like the hobbed gear is not aligned with the filament.

If you remove the filament and retract the pressure roller, there should be a straight view all the way into the hot end. So maybe the filament guide below the hobbed gear is not pushed in all the way (or installed backwards) or the hobbed gear needs to be loosened, slid over to align with the filament and re-tightened.

I'm running a Titan on a BigBox and it works extremely well.

5. Vaei

Vaei Member

I've changed it a lot to get the right settings, I believe 4 is perfect given the length of the PTFE tubing, I have of course tried many others - speeds too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pinion gear is to be aligned with the driver gear, so that they sit perfectly flush. Then the filament guide and everything else is simply placed over that. If the filament guide is then not aligned that would be a pretty significant manufacturing fault. And no, I haven't put it in backwards. It's pretty clear what way it goes in and I've triple checked everything.

I'm now trying it with an intentionally misaligned pinion and driver gear so that the filament guide lets the filament sit on the teeth of the driver gear.

6. larryj

larryj Member

I've just noticed the same thing on mine. I've got at least 500 hours of print time on this extruder. It had been working fine, but started having extrusion issues which appear to be too much pressure somewhere. Luckily I have another Titan (V1) on another printer (which works awesome) that I can compare it to. Not sure why I didn't notice when I first put it together, but first thing I noticed is that the hobbed section of the drive gear doesn't center up with the filament guide. I think (hope?) this is causing the filament to press against the top of the guide, causing too much friction.

There is no way to adjust anything left/right (other than the gear, but that doesn't do anything to the position of the hobbed section). It's hard to see, in the picture, but there is a slight bit of space between the filament guide and the extruder body, but it's in as far as it will go.

I swapped out the drive gear from my older Titan and it has a much thinner hobbed section, but it's a lot closer to center than the new one.

The bearings are also shot in the cover (have new cover on the way), so have to wait a few days to see if the older gear really fixes the problem. Now that I think about it, I probably should have ordered a new guide too :(

7. Vaei

Vaei Member

The thin teeth is a manufacturing fault that I read about (with e3d as the source not a customer).

So it's working now by moving the pinion gear backwards allowing the driver gear to sit ~75% touching the pinion and rest not. This resulted in the filament feed lining up.

Issues may arise at higher print speeds because only at 90mm/s currently but until then this should be ok

Cheers guys

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

4 mm retraction is too much. Mine is set to 1.5mm (also Titan).

9. Vaei

Vaei Member

Not for bowden it isn't.

10. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

If you use the correct coupling methods and have collet clips to reduce the lash, you shouldn't need much more if any extra retraction compared to direct. 2mm is really the max you want to use, even for Bowden. You're also running Capricorn, which has a tighter ID, so even less lash inside the tube itself. If you're getting jams, reduce your retractions until they stop completely, then play around with the temperature to eliminate ooze. Retraction isn't the best way to fight ooze, temperature is.

11. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

You may have to push hard, so do it carefully, but you can move that original hobbed bolt within the gearwheel; it's not glued. Mine was probably as badly aligned as yours but is now nicely aligned. When you retighten the screws for the Titan cover, be careful not to overtighten, or you'll end up pushing it back in too far.