Missing z offset in firmware

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Geedor, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Geedor

Geedor Member

I have a bigbox duel and I finally got it put together enough to adjust the z offset except that option is missing in my firmware does anyone know what the issue could be

2. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

I saw something like that question on the Google + group.
    Greg said something about the instructions are being written this week and to check out this video:

And start at the 1 hour 50 minute mark.

3. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

What that mean now? Why document is not updated? I don't have this setting in my firmware and I am not sure now how I should calibrate/tune my infrared sensor?

So my question is that why I don't have that z-offset - I checked video, but there wasn't anything about this.

#3 kamakaze, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

You don't have it because you have a dual, the pro does the bed measurement automatically.

Follow the guide with what it shows about setting the height of the infra red sensor, putting the nozzle by the bed and then putting some belt under the sensor and lowering it. This will set the correct height.

Then use the LCD and go to Prepare > Auto home and it should finish at 10, 10. Then Prepare > Level bed, the nozzle will move 4mm above the bed, use the LCD knob to adjust the height until it just grips a piece of paper, then push the LCD knob in and the nozzle will move to the next point. Repeat this 9 times (it will do an S-like grid on the bed) and when finished goto the Store Memory LCD option to store the bed matrix.

You can then print.

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  5. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

How are you supposed to put the nozzle by the bed? I can't get it to go negative z direction, so it doesn't want to move up any farther. Does that make sense?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Dual does not use autobed leveling. It uses the superior 'Manual' mesh leveling feature.

Just use the Bed Leveling option in the Prepare menu and follow the procedure. Then store the value from the control menu.

The pro should also switch to Manual leveling, only reason they kept it auto is because they advertised it as having it, and Mesh wasn't out yet.

7. Chase.Wichert

I mean how to I set the infrared level to match up with the nozzle, if I can't move the bed in the z negative direction (up)?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Just have the IR sensor be above the nozzle height so it doesn't interfere. Then you don't need to worry about moving the bed up or down.

I disabled the motors, then manually twisted my Z threaded rods until the primary nozzle touched the bed, then moved the carriage left and right to level the two sides. Then I just stuck a piece of GT2 belt under the IR sensor to space it up, then tighten it down to hold it in place.

The Bed leveling script will allow you to go negative to calibrate the height. As long as the IR sensor detects the bed before the nozzle touches that is.

9. Chase.Wichert

Ohhhhhhh okay, I am manually moving the bed up and down when doing that... Duhhhhh, got it thanks, not sure why that didn't click until now lol

mike01hu likes this.
  10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Don't feel too bad. I was trying to do what you did as well :) Documentation needs some love so if you have any thoughts on how to convey this better I'm all ears.

11. JonGillam

JonGillam Active Member

I know this is an ancient thread but just wanted to add to this one since it appeared in my search for the issue I was having.

I also have a dual and my firmware apparently had the single extruder version of firmware loaded. (Or maybe I was missing something) It was the latest build of RC6 but performing the bed leveling step, in that step of the build guide, only performed the 4pt Auto bed leveling. I flashed one of Alex's firmware variants of RC6 Dual Hybrid with MBL and was all set.