Modix Big 60 and Titan Aero Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MKWILLIQ, Aug 4, 2020.

1. MKWILLIQ

MKWILLIQ New Member

We recently purchased a Modix Big 60 printer which uses the Titan Aero hotend. We've had issues from day 1 trying to print ABS with a .4mm nozzle and using Cura for our slicing program.

Once we get the brim dialed in and printing nice the job will run for a couple hours and then it will loose extrusion. If we take the filament out of the hotend, you will see where the knurled gear has eaten away the filament. We are using Coex LLC filament and running the temp between 230-250 C with a heated bed between 80-100C

The fans run 100% after the initial layer and we are printing our parts with 90% infill as we want them to be similiar to the parts we get off our industrial 3D printers from Stratasys.

One thing i plan to try shortly is switching the retraction distance from 2mm to .5mm and see if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas?

2. ElrinV

ElrinV Member

Did you get any resolution on this? I recently got a Modix Big 60 printer as well and plan on printing ABS as well.
    I'm going through the learning curve on PLA first and having some weird issues there too where it fails on the 3-4th layer - starts oozing out of everywhere rather than the nozzle, yet it doesn't seem clogged.

3. Josh Dagg

Josh Dagg Member

The company I work for just got our Big-60 and I've spent a week or so getting it dialed in. In general, PLA prints turn out much nicer than ABS with both the 0.4mm and the 0.6mm nozzles I've tried. A couple things you can try - those temps seem rather low, we run our bed at 110C and our hot end at 250C for a 0.4mm nozzle and 260C for a 0.6mm nozzle. These temps were recommended by Modix. The other thing you could try is turning off your fans, or very low. You never want to use part fans with ABS, or at least as minimally as possible.

4. Josh Dagg

Josh Dagg Member

Did you follow the nozzle heat tightening step in the build guide? I sure didn't, and ended up with my whole hot end encased in ABS lol. Make sure it's tight against the heat break and you should be in business