COMPLETE Modular Mirrored Titan

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

AssembledIMG_3353.jpg
    I finished this design several months ago but never got around to posting the results. Having used Chase Wichert's brilliant Dual Titan carriage for a couple years I felt I could see how to improve it slightly. My goals were pretty simple:
    • Capable of accessing the entire 300x200 build area with both nozzles
    • Modular carriage and extruders. Everything connectorized and easy to take apart
    • Better cooling than the original Dual Titan carriage. This drove me to use a Titan and a Mirrored Titan
    • Easier belt installation, tensioning, and removal without damaging the belts
    • Improved wire routing
    Assembled IMG_3344.jpg

The picture above shows how the fan wires disappear into the X-carriage. All X-Carriage utility wiring (end stop switch, part cooling fan, and infrared Z-sensor) is routed through internal conduits in the printed carriage. They exit through the top center of the carriage and terminate in a connectorized central yoke or tower.

The next photo with the extruder sleds removed show the fan wires disappearing and reappearing at the yoke.

Internal Cabling  IMG_3177 2.jpg

Looking at it from the left side you can see the limit switch wiring going into the internal conduit.

Internal Cabling IMG_2675.jpg

From the back you can see the Z-sensor cabling going into another internal cable path.

Internal Cabling IMG_2696.jpg

The extruder sleds are very similar to Chase' original but with Molex Microfit 3.0 connectors and of course the left and right are mirror images.

Sled IMG_3186 2.jpg

Sled IMG_3187.jpg

One thing I'm particularly proud of is the X-belt tensioner. It uses a sort of screw driven rack that can capture the end of the belts and drag it to tension the system.

Tensioner IMG_3178 2.jpg

The tricky part is the tiny printed part that grabs the belt. It's shown below on top of USA penny to show scale.

Tensioner IMG_2622.jpg
    The X-motor mount and X-idler (Y-carriages) were both redesigned to maximize clearances so the entire 300 mm wide build area was available to both extruders.

Y-Carriage IMG_3326.jpg

So that's my version of the dual direct BigBox carriages.

Assembled IMG_3342.jpg

#1 Ephemeris, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Jari, mhe and Paul Begley like this.
  2. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Amazing work! Do you have some downloadable files for that? A friend is currently considering a Titan upgrade for his dual and this would be perfect for him as an IDEX setup seems to be too intimidating for him.

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

If you think it will help him, I'll be happy to package up all the files. I'll need to make a custom bill-of-materials so he can see exactly what parts are needed. Once I get that done I can DropBox it.

4. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

That would be appreciated, I can't guarantee he would actually go ahead and build it, so there is a chance you'd do it for nothing in that case and I don't want to burden you with unnecessary tasks, but publishing the files would probably be a thing, generally speaking?