More Nylon 910 torture - hospital style

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Henry feldman, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So after driving over it a few times, then towing my daughter's car down the street, figured better test that same part for thermal toughness. So off it went into the autoclave. Perfectly fine and now sterile! That is 124C steam under ~2atm of pressure for 30 minutes. Since this part is never getting used didn't wash it first to get the grunge from the tire off you can see at the top. The sharp parts are still sharp and the straight parts are still straight, and it still flexes the same... Love this stuff!

[​IMG]

Spoon Unit and Stefan like this.
  2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Don't know what happens with high temperatures but nylon needs a controlled moist atmosphere to keep its flexible nature. Ever experienced breaking cable ties? That's because the nylon has dried. I use to add some wet paper in a box I keep my nylon 6/6 cable ties.

At least that vacuum packing should keep what's in there already :)

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Looking good, Dr Feldman.

So your part doesn't need to withstand heat AND load?

4. Henry feldman

That is not vacuum packed, that is the standard OR sterile pack. It is air and water permeable but not permeable to bacteria or viruses. Basically the back is some sort of parchment paper or something.

5. Henry feldman

I should note that is the other Dr. Feldman, not me. If I went to our hospital's sterilization unit and said, hey can you shove this piece of plastic that I ran over a few times with a car and then towed a car in the central OR's autoclave, they'd laugh me out of the room. My wife however is the medical director at her hospital and had them run a single run of a small autoclave with that by itself - "it's good to be the king".

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Henry feldman

Not at the same time. It will be under substantial load while working, and will be sitting in a tray when being sterilized. The other choice for sterilization is ethylene-oxide which won't work with a 3D printed part, as there can be small pathways through the surface and since the infill isn't 100% would trap the gas which could outgas during surgery which would be lethal to the patient and maybe staff. That stuff is toxic. The final parts will be injection molded which don't have that issue, but autoclave is so much easier and cheaper anyway.

mike01hu likes this.