Mount filament in separate enclosure?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Duncan Chivers, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Duncan Chivers

Duncan Chivers Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm yet to receive my BB Pro, but in planning where it's going to live I'm trying to figure out how it will work best.

The printer itself will sit inside a large cupboard, with plenty of room above and about 5-10cm on each side.

The problem I can foresee is that although there is room for the filament spool on the back, changing it may be a bit of a nightmare, because access may be limited (the base of the printer will sit at about 4 feet, so I'll need steps to get over the back).

Is it feasible to re-route the filament tube and mount the spool holder inside the cupboard directly to the left of the main one (through a hole)? Or is that likely to cause issues feeding to the extruder?

Hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance!

2. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I would think you would be fine as long as you avoid sharp turns and support the filament in some way, for example using PTFE tubing. Just take care that the tube doesn't get excessively long, but on the side should be ok.

Since my BB is going to sit on a bench, I've made a turntable base using a Lazy Susan bearing so I can just spin it round to load and unload filament.

3. Duncan Chivers

Thanks Sarah, the distance will be pretty similar, so hopefully it should work. I'll mount it with the extruder at its furthest, lowest point so that there shouldn't be any issues with it catching.
    Your idea with the lazy susan is genius, you'll have to post a photo once you have it set up!

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

You said inside of a cupboard, how much space between the top of the printer and the top of the cupboard? You may be able to get away with having the filament come through a hole in the center top of the cabinet, if there is around 30cm of space above the extruder that should be more than sufficient.

5. Duncan Chivers

+Colin, it's pretty tall so I'll measure it a bit later. Sounds like it may be worth trying before I start drilling holes in the side. The cupboard is like one of those floor to ceiling kitchen cupboards, so it's around 60cm (ish) square, and really tall. If I can mount it a little lower your suggestion might work.

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

I guarantee that for the first few days / weeks you're going to be walking around it checking things, making adjustments and generally being in awe at the wonder of it all.

MAYBE then you can put it in a cupboard!

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

You probably want some sort of sliding tray for the machine because there's no such thing as trouble-free printing. Sooner or later you'll have an extruder issue, a nozzle jam, want to swap nozzles, and so on.

How you position your spools outside the cupboard is going to dictate your spool holder design. Even then you'll need to reach in to feed new filament. Thinking about this, if you have (or will upgrade to) a dual, then the back-mounted extruder is something you might consider mounting on top of the cupboard. That's going to lead to an extruder mounted to the cupboard with wires connected to the bigbox below. This could require some longer wires making and care not to pull them when moving the box.

So yeh, spool holder outside shouldn't be too much trouble. Lots of ideas out there. If you want to go naked filament to the elements, then I've created a vertical parameteric design (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:990972) and a horizontal universal design (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1027730) which I used with my M3D. Both use bearings to reduce friction. I like the horizontal mounting universal design as it's a one size fits all, whereas the other needs to br remade for each spool size (not so bad if you'll stick with one spool vendor). Otherwise looks for a design where the two sides holding the spool can be moved apart. I did create one like that (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:987628) but was never really happy with it, partly down to the imprecise printing on the M3D.

8. Duncan Chivers

Thanks people, I feel much more reassured that I'll be able to do it somehow. +Spoon Unit, your holder designs look cool, so I'll definitely see if I can use one of them if I'm able to. And yes, +R Design, I'm definitely going to go all super geek for a good while!