Mounting "Titan" on the BigBox

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Alex9779, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok my package arrived today. Because of the lack of information I ordered only one, but I will order the second for the bowden too.
    Fortunately the part for mounting the Titan to the BigBox just came off the machine...

Here are some things I want to share and discuss:

This is what is in the package:
    IMG_0533.JPG

This is what you need according to Greg's manual in the Wiki:
    IMG_0534.JPG

And this is what I used:
    IMG_0535.JPG

Firstly the guide should mention that the grub screw to fix the pinion gear and to face towards the motor:
    IMG_0536.JPG
    Otherwise it will collide with the main gear and if you do not test it by hand before it could damage your main gear right away when running the motor...

Secondly when fitting the motor with the Titan body you are advised to use an M3 10mm screw.
    There are two screws in the pack that might match to that location in the lower right corner the left and the right one on the photo:
    IMG_0537.JPG
    But the left one is about 8mm the right 12mm. Ok the guid say "Bag 8" which means that screw is not bundled with the Titan but since they seems not be used anywhere else you could think you use them. Well 12mm are too long to tighten up, the 8mm maybe a bit short because of the camper the moron holes have so I used the middle one, my own M3 10mm.

Thirdly when inserting the PTFE guide it should me mentioned that the black is for 1.75mm filament, the white one for 2.85mm, so we need the black. You can only get that looking at the pictures.

Fourthly the guide tell that the pinion gear should be postponed about 1.5mm away from the motor body.
    I think it should be positioned again, when fitting the lever so that the bearing on the lever pushed entered on the groove of the hobb goblin:
    IMG_0538.JPG

Fifthly when closing the Titan with the lid you should use three M3 x 35mm and one M3 x 25mm.
    There should be noted that the M3 x 25mm has to go in the lower right hole.
    The issue I have here is that the 35mm screws are too long, they do not tighten properly:
    IMG_0539.JPG
    The screw is fully tightened but not touching the lid, there is a gap of about 1.3mm.
    The same for the other two screws.
    So I was going to use the 25mm screws but they are a bit short. When you screw them in you feel that they get a grip of only some of the thread pitches and then tighten up.
    So IMHO the wall between the Titan and the motor has either to be thickened by about 2-2.5mm or thinned by about 0.5-1mm.
    Or you use washers...
    Or you use 27.5mm screws :p

#1 Alex9779, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Spoon Unit likes this.
  2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the Bag 8 means the BigBox kit which has the M3 x 10

The titan manual, which you did read beforehand right? ;) States the difference between black and white feeds.

I am going to assemble mine tonight once I have cured the HT PLA parts and then will report back with any further updates.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's what I wanted to say with "Bag 8" but I threw away all my bags, have one big bag with the leftovers...

Yes I did but the BB build guide lacks that info.

This was a proactive thread, there are people out there who want a guide which tells them everything, I mean "EVERYTHING" :D. Like "After this step take a drink." or "If you drank every time this guide told you go pee now!"

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

A good manual has all the steps. There is no reason in a digital wiki world to NOT include the steps. There are an unlimited number of 0s and 1s in the world, and disk space is free, and since all you have to do is copy-paste from another wiki, there is no excuse. Some people love the hunt, others (like me) are trying to get things done under heavy time pressure and having to hunt stuff down in other areas is annoying.

Steve W likes this.
  5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@Alex9779 Just mounted mine. The screws are fine for the Titan. The kit comes with 25, 30 and 35. You should find the 25 and 30 fit without issue. I think this is an error in the guide perhaps?

6. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Ddi you change the GT2 belt? How long must it be?

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I did, I didn't measure as I bought 2m and just cut by putting it in place. Will measure my remainder in a mo to work it out.

Edit: 1.5m should do it.

#7 PsyVision, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  8. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

thx, sorry for double asking in the other thread

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Just need to finish the wiring tomorrow and mount the rear Titan.

[​IMG]

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have three 30mm, three 35mm and one 25mm.
    The 25mm is for the lower left hole actually not going into the motor.
    The 30mm protrude about 1.3mm over the lid of the Titan, can't tighten them more.
    And the 25mm are just enough to get a grip in the thread of the motor, if I would pull hard enough I could pull them out damaging the thread in the motor...
    Maybe the hoes in the motor have different depths?

11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the 25 in the bottom right and the 30 in the others.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah well, I am repeating myself, the 30mm are a bit too short for me (engineer).
    But I am printing the part anyways again because I forgot to mod the zip tie slots into ones for my velcro ties. Made the wall between the Titan and the motor 2mm wider... So I can use the 35mm hopefully.

But this has to wait, running two 22+ hour prints now (3DHubs order), I hope my XT black will last, just ordered a 2.2kg spool to be safe for a while...

13. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I ordered all my parts and printed all plastics. Hopefully i can resume and finish my BB now! Faster than 1.2

14. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Honestly i use ABS for my parts, still superior for warmer parts than XT ;-)

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is right but the Titan mount and the extruder carriage are not getting warm... Printed the fan ducts and IR mount in ABS too...

16. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

true, just lazy in changing the roll:)

17. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Hey Richard, where is the 2nd Titan getting installed?

18. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Round the back John

19. Clare - E3D

Clare - E3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Generally for mounting, you need the M3 8mm screw (this was possibly listed as 10mm in Greg's guide), and the 3x 30mm screws.

the 3 x 35mm and 1 x 12mm M3 screws are included in the Titan kit because the fixings kit is universal, designed to fit onto thicker mounts, up to 6mm, which encompasses almost all reprap-based-printers out there, bowden or direct. So if you have a Dual and you're mounting Bowden as the second extruder you'll need to use the longer version of the fixings as it's onto a 5mm mount (the rear wall).

Jeremy Naglich likes this.
  20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Claire for explanation but I still think the 30mm are too short in my case. I have to compress the whole assembly for them to get a grip and as I describe above I can turn the screw for about 1 turn then all is tightened. 1 turn is not much... I am going with my altered mount anyways. 2mm plus for the wall is not much and won't significantly increase the weight...

Colin likes this.