Moving PSU and Rumba Out...

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Syko_Symatic, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Has anyone attempted to move the internals of the bigbox outside of the base. I know it's a great design but I find tinkering (especially adding wires) a huge pain. Unless anyone has some tips on how to make it easier? I am going to be re-wiring to add some molex connectors and a BL Touch sensor soon so will be pulling it apart soon!

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

There would be a lot of goodness to moving the electronics to the back. I'd be inclined to leave the power supply. If you really decide to go for it, make sure you mount high enough to clear the larger spools like the 2 kg colorFabb ones.

3. Syko_Symatic

I don't think there would be enough room to place them on the back, one of the sides shouldn't be too difficult.

The PSU could stay where it is as you rarely have to touch that, the Rumba, PT100 boards and the Pi could be rehoused. Potentially into a small case? Hmmm... Solidworks here I come! Was it a Pi3 in the Bigbox?

4. Syko_Symatic

Hmm... debating what you could leave in/take out? I am thinking remove the Rumba only? Or possibly the rumba and the PT100 boards. You would then only need connectors for rumba power, 2 x usb (pi power and data) and motors. My only issue is the LCD, I hear there are a fair few issues with interference when those cable get above 6in? maybe a rumba case with the LCD in the top? hmmmm.....

5. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member