Multiple part printing.

Discussion in 'General' started by Miasmictruth, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there was a way to partially complete a part say 5-10 mm at a time then move to the next part and do the same with any avalible slicers out there.

Usually when printing multiple parts the slicers wants to print one layer for all parts or in some slicers you can finish one part at a time. However if your parts are too tall you run the risk of running into your other parts.

So if you were able to build parts sections at a time you could have a potential speed boost.

You could in theory get speed boost if your part ha multiple spires by applying the same concept.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Simplify3D can do that.
    You need multiple processes. One for each of the part. Then you can select a clearing distance. Then it prints every part up to that distance and switches then to the other and so on...

3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

How does it compensate for the head banging down on one of the parts, particularly with the width of the dual?

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

With the dual this could get tricky yep.
    The clearance you put in is normally the height you have between the bottom of the nozzle to the fan shroud. That is normally the safe distance where you can go down the layers you already printed without the risk of anything other touching the already printed part.
    Unfortunately there is no option to define a clearance radius that would be considered when placing parts.
    If you place one part left and on part right of the build plate you could even try to complete one part and then do the other...
    I tried this on my UM2 once. Worked perfectly.
    But when you do this with taller parts you don't have to watch out for the head moving but also for the rods of the X axis on the BigBox. On the UM2 there are both axis moving over the build...

5. Miasmictruth

Very good info! Thanks I guess S3D does have its moments :)

One thing that's possible is off setting the parts far enough in y you don't have to worry about the Z clearance of the rods.

How hard is it to pop the hotend off the second Extruder "assuming you have installed connectors" I haven't gotten far enough in my build yet to answer that myself.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Easy just two grub screws then you can pull it out...

7. Miasmictruth

Cool that's what I figured. When doing single head prints figured if it were easy I would just pop it off so it's not in the way.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's adjusted perfect then no problem in most cases.
    Calibration of dual takes a while and some test prints.
    You have to do that again when you dismount the second extruder.

So it is you to decide wether a single print could be influenced by the second, in that case cold, nozzle or not...

9. Miasmictruth

Ah fair enough will probably leave it off in the beginning at least I generally try to only fight one battle at a time.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I mounted it but move it up with the grub screws by about 1mm about the left nozzle.
    Didn't want to deal with the cables hanging around somewhere...

11. Miasmictruth

Humm well hopefully tomorrow I can figure out what your talking about lol, might take the day off to work on my BB if I can pull it off.

I got to start running wires then had real life get in the way for the last week haven't had even a moment to work on it :/

12. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

In S3D can you configure the order in which it prints in? I remember watching a tutorial about doing 1 process/part at a time, however i dont remember seeing if you can configure the order. Is this based on the process order? If so you could go from left to right with the dual to where the second extruder is always over an empty spot on the board.

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You can't really influence the order from my experience.
    S3D tries to minimise travel. Therefor it starts with the part next to where the print head when it wants to start printing, that's after the start script if you use any and after the tool change script if you use any.
    But I found that only the slightest move of any part can mix up the order it prints them...

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Simplify3d can do it with a single process. Instead of continuous printing do sequential printing. Then you specify a height (the distance from the nozzle tip to the gantry bars).

You do need to space the parts yourself since it has no way of knowing the carriage dimensions like how Cura does.

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I doubt that, you need multiple processes.
    I just tested it. This dialog:
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-26 um 09.45.42.png
    only comes up if you have multiple processes...

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ohhh. Yeah I see what you meant. Yes you need multiple processes for the dialog to come up, but I'm pretty sure you can use the same process for both.