My Big box dual Z-axis move much less than it should and printer expected

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by kamakaze, Mar 28, 2016.

1. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

Hi!
    I have problem that my Z-axis move about 30% less than printer expected. So if I try to move it 50mm it move about 32mm or something like that. if I move it first 100mm down and then up it is not even coming same starting point. What might be wrong?

I double checked that step-motor controllers has right millivolt value. I checked also that at least both Z-motors looks moving same amount and it is very easy to manually move it so this might be something else than mechanical problem? I was thinking to calibrate z-axel, but it sound wrong - there have to be some fundamental problem somewhere.

X and Y axis are at least more right because I test print one cylinder that was 20mm before I found that problem and it looks that few working layers was circles and less than 1mm wrong (hard to say more because z-axis problem was destroyed my model shape)

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Could it be under current to the Z motors? Try turning the z pot up by 1/4 of a turn see if that helps, also try moving Z slower than default(try 3 mm/s rather than 6mm/s for example) in case its sticking or having other problems.

3. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

It didn't help at all. Actually I found that problem is that movement is quite close to 50% what is should be. After playing with it about few hours I found that after tryining to get them work I change Z step/mm from 1600 to 3199 and then it was right, but Y axist start jumping (it might be because controller was hot and I didn't change any setting for Y axist).

I have to say that X and Y works earlier perfectly without any kind of problems. I took back this Z axis calibration, but problem is there anyway with default values- both controller are quite hot (Y and Z) (I don't know if they are always very hot) and Y motor will keep only noise and move badly after it warm a little bit. normally it works well and if I don't touch z - x and y works at least before y is too hot - what might be reason for these problems? I think that I can't open it anymore before I have some solution if controllers get hot now (all settings are in default).

#3 kamakaze, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of your wiring? Hot is never good, warm is very acceptable and to be expected. my steps were all set correct out of the box

5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Did choose the right motors for the axles ? The Z should have 2x Wantai 1.8° and the other axles 0.9°

6. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

Did you make sure you have the correct motors installed in the correct location? Some are .9 deg/step and others are 1.8 deg/step. If you have the wrong ones in place you would be off by half.

7. Rob Heinzonly

@K3LAG :) We were thinking in the same line.:)

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah sounds to me like he used the wrong motors as well.

9. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

Thanks guys! I was thinking same and I already wrote it here and then removed after double checked from manual these motors settings, but I have to to check that again...

If this is reason for problems I don't get how x and y works correctly...

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe you switched with the extruders motors. Did you try to print something yet? X Y and E motors are equal. Only the Z are different.

PsyVision likes this.
  11. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

Yes I tried as I wrote in first message. Ofcause I don't know if it give too much/little material (Z motors might be there) because Z didn't move enough. I will check that.

12. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

Same problem I had, was wrong motors for me

13. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

I had problem with Z motors - these was accidently in extruder and vice versa. Anyway this didn't help about this y-axis problem. It keep strange noise all the time and it stopped moving even at all (more details later). I double/triple checked stepper calibrations. Also Rumba crashing sometimes when I move y or z axis. - What might be wrong? So X and Z works otherway normally (except Rumba crashing), but Y motor keeps strange sound (even if I don't move anything - just power on). If I disable step motors sound end. I tested to swap X axis stepper to Y and it didn't help. I also change second extruder motor to Y-axis - it works normally so long that I don't use z axis. Because after I made homing sound started again from y-axis and then it doesn't move anymore.

Please help me what I can try next?

14. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

I forgot to say that I took back voltages to standard (0.58V) - should I try higher if it is risky to break motors / steppers?

15. Rob Heinzonly

Hmmm.... I had sort of the same issue with my Y-axis motor. Often it wouldn't move at all at startup, or I had to wait for a couple of minutes. I could hear a slight clicking / humming sound lasting less than a second when trying to move the Y-axis, but no movement. After a couple of reboots of the Rumba I would finally work, but it made a lot more noise, compared to the X-axis motor. I have tried every voltage between 0.25 and 0.60, but no success.

Last Monday I decided to replace the Y-stepper driver with one I had lying around (a Geeetech A4988). Until now all issues are resolved. The motor is in whisper mode, and will start immediately. So maybe it could be your stepper driver....

16. kamakaze

kamakaze Member

Thanks Rob!

You was totally right - actually I change this stepper to second extruder for testing purposes and works perfectly. Very sad that actually Rumba will crash always ones when I start moving any access manually. After that it works perfectly (atleast sort time). Would be nice to get fix this bug. Maybe I have to contribute this project in next weekend if I am not too busy with printing... ;)

#16 kamakaze, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016