My daily routine with Titan direct extruder

Discussion in 'Titan' started by VladimirK, Oct 20, 2019.

1. VladimirK

VladimirK Member

I'm new to 3D printing. With Anycubic 4Max Pro seems everything is fine, print quality is great, but the biggest issue I have is removing filament.
    That happens with PLA, Flex and finally I tried to clean nozzle as "3D Printing Nerd" suggested with Nylon - everything was fine until I tried to pull filament at 70C. It was nightmare.

PLA (green) and Flex (transparent)
    PLA and Flex no zoom.jpg

Nylon
    Nylon small.jpg

Is it something wrong with Titan extruder design? When plastic touches cold metal wheels it obviously hardens. The biggest problems I have: every time it requires full disassembly. I cannot see anything inside extruder and I cannot easily remove jams.

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

As the filament leaves the hot end, it enters the heatbreak, and should cool sufficiently before it reaches the Titan. The only thing I can think of is that you're unloading at extremely high speed, thus enabling the filament to get into the Titan before it cools. This would imply you're using a direct drive mounting I would think. In any case, if you just alter you unload speed down to a slower speed, the filament should stop sticking to the Titan parts. I don't think this is a Titan design issue. The filament will be close to room temp when it gets back to the extruder on my printer.

3. VladimirK

VladimirK Member

At first I tried to use built-in feature "Filament remove" and it was even worse - filament was squeezed on wheel. With manual pulling out I'm frequently at least able to pull filament through small hole while it soft.
    Yes, it is Titan direct. The problem as for me that hole slightly greater than filament diameter - if filament not round anymore it stuck.

#3 VladimirK, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. Spoon Unit

OK. I guess you must be using 3mm filament. One thing to try to workaround the problem you describe is to try to ram-purge when you unload the filament. This means that you push (with G0 etc) the filament as fast as you can into the nozzle until you hear clicking. This determines how far and how fast you need to push until the colk filament makes it to the nozzle tip. Once you've figured that out, do a very fast retraction out of the nozzle (i.e. 10mm or more). This should result in a pretty well formed filament tip and hopefully fix the follow on extraction issues from the Titan.

5. VladimirK

VladimirK Member

6. Spoon Unit

Which hole is slightly greater than the filament diameter? You've lost me now.

7. VladimirK

VladimirK Member

Hole in this part on photo where filament inserted into extruder. If it stuck below, on the metal wheel, the only way to remove it is to disassemble whole extruder because there is no other way by design.
    I'll try to do everything manually but planning to replace it soon with Aero Volcano.

8. VladimirK

VladimirK Member

I've tried as you suggested - due to Anycubic printer trying to "help" to remove filament with motor it stucks without my intervention. The weak part in design (if something happens with filament and it is not round less than 1.75mm it stuck between) Titan direct.jpg The only way to avoid it is to cut filament and insert another.

9. Spoon Unit

Sorry. I have no experience with the Anycubic. Perhaps, stop using the 'help' system for removing filament, and instead write your own GCODE job for removing the filament.

The point of the spring/idler should be to enable almost any width filament to be pushed through. The setting shown in the picture however is with the spring set to its weakest setting, so you're not getting as much 'push'/'pull' as you could have. Try tightening up the screw to enhance the spring strength.

I don't understand how the filament situation in the picture could occur.

10. VladimirK

VladimirK Member

That picture from E3D https://e3d-online.com/blog/2016/04/08/titan to show where is the problem. It occurs when filament removed from the nozzle with blob or filament squished between wheels at that exact point. From there it cannot be moved up or down until extruder disassembled.