My extruder keeps doing a strange clicky retraction movement.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by moopco, Aug 8, 2017.

1. moopco

moopco Member

Hi guys,

I've recently fit my e3d lite and bowden titan and since doing so my extruder will do this strange, very fast retraction movement at random intervals throughout the print.

It happens regardless of slicer used
    printing pla only, at 220 celsius
    speeds are around 50 mm/s
    causes weak stringy sections
    stepper motor is HOT
    titan wheel scrolls freely if moved by hand and requires the lightest of touches
    fitted a brand new nozzle (i presumed it was a blockage at first)
    happens with retraction disabled

Here's a video of it in action, it's hard to see but easier to hear. Each time it makes that noise it's retracting about third of a wheel turn of the big wheel.

I spoke to the guys at e3d already, and they were unable to say exactly what is causing it but have offered to send a couple of replacement stepper motors to see if it's a faulty motor.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

#1 moopco, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. moopco

moopco Member

Here's another video of it happening mid print, about 3mm up the z, so I'm fairly certain it's not just a case of the bed levelling being off.

And a photo of what the end result looks like, that should be 40% infill, but the whole model is just a spongey, creaky mess.

I've also tried changing thermistor, running from SD instead of USB, different filament and replacing the bowden tube.

Attached Files:

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Stepper motors run hot, but how hot is ok I don't know. Have your tried adjusting or at least checking the current setting on the Rumba? And is it possibly less than for the original BB 1.0 setting as the motor for Titan is smaller than the original stepper motor used?

Making clicking sounds were posted a year or more ago, do a search.

Is the filament coming of the spool ok or is it hard to turn, maybe the retraction is because there is tension in the filament and when retraction is called for it pulls back far more aggressively and therefore further than it should, so turning off retraction simply lessens the effect slightly. Equally I have found filament tight through the ptfe tube as it is bent into the radius of the spool so it does not pass through smoothly, this could have the same effect of tensioning the filament.

Another possibility is that the hobbed wheel is not tight on the motor shaft and/or the grub screw isn't on the flat of the motor shaft.

Another possibility could be a bad electrical connection between the controller and motor, this could account for the unpredictable nature of the problem, and could account for the heat problem, but changing the motor sounds good and could be the first step in changing everything out.

E3D also do a good troubleshooting section on V6 in their WiKi, maybe they do one on troubleshooting the Titan too.

#3 Old_Tafr, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. moopco

moopco Member

Thanks for the reply

I'm using an mks board with marlin, voltage is set to 0.92v, it should be from 0.8 to 1, so that should be just fine.

Spool is easy to turn and filament has no issue getting to the extruder.

It's not the same clicking issue that's been reported before, that doesn't come with a reverse spin and tends not to happen at higher z's and temps.

bowden is on a flying mount, minimalising any bending in the ptfe tube, it's almost dead straight until 10cm ish up the z and only 20ish cm long.

grub screw is on the motor correctly, I've tried with the tensioner on as low as it goes and as high as it would reasonably go.

I've replaced the wiring.

But, some replacements have just turned up, so let's see if that solves this one!

5. moopco

moopco Member

Good news everybody,

Fitted the new pancake motor and it's been working great so far.

Thanks to e3d for sorting me out and being nothing but helpful through this problem :)