My first BB dual print using the Dual Experiment S3d profile

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Ray, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have just finished my first dual color (both extruders using E3D everyday PLA filament) using the E3D S3D provided Dual Experimental profile, I printed this with pretty much all default except setting the nozzle temperatures to 200.

Here is the resultant print, it seems to have many zits? on the outside:

dual_print_output.JPG

I was a little concerned by the amount of purged filament that was produced for such a little print (although in fairness for whatever reason this particular print has 2 solid thin lines going up its center, and so pretty much every single layer needed to be purged (also note that I had a failed attempt that got about 8 layers or so before I stopped it, the purged filament is also in that pile):

dual_print.JPG

My question is, what is causing these zits? I have calibrated the Esteps/mm and using the 100mm calibration file both extruders are extruding exactly 100mm, so I don't think it can be over extrusion.

Regards

Ray

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Ray,

Don't use the experimental profile. Find the Guinea Pigs thread on these forums and use the profile there. Or the one that Alex9779 has created. The profile you are using has certain retraction settings that cause them.

I don't know why you have lines going up the middle of the print (causing all of the purge) that sounds like a slicing issue. I and many others have printed the dual cone without anywhere near as much filament wastage.

Ray likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of the inside, so you see what I mean:

dual_print_inside.JPG

The Thingiverse items was http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21773

Is this the dual cone that most people use or have I picked a different one?

I want to try again with a different profile (as you had suggested), but want to make sure I have the correct cone, thankfully this hopefully shows my X/Y nozzle offsets are pretty much spot on though.

4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

ya thats not the cone most people use.. They use the "Traffic cone rings" or one similar to that

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

From what I can tell from the photos the offset looks pretty good.

That is the cone I have printed, infact I did four of them, zits and all but none of them had those lines!

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:203519

6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I noticed within that Thingiverse there is actually 2 versions of the cone, guess I need to select the other one

TstarkEngineering likes this.
  7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep you want the one with rings in the filename.