My First Print using OctoPrint (Z movement counter intuitive)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Old_Tafr, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Worked fine but for two or three things...

At the start of the print the heads didn't move to the wiper so a blob of PLA formed on the nozzle on the bed (printer was at home in X Y and Z. Not a problem as in printing the raft it detached out of the way of the print, but I would have thought a wipe would always be before the start ........... maybe I added the command in the wrong part of the script. (previous post)

Via OctoPrint the X and Y manual movement (arrows in "Control" are good, X left is left ... Y back is away from the front, BUT Z it is as if you are moving the heads not the bed (confusing) so hitting the DOWN arrow moves the bed UP (dangerous) as if the control is meant for the heads on a printer with a fixed Z plane.

(Just tried home icon from OctoPrint..........heads move to home in X-Y but the bed does not move up, no movement of Z at all? (Doh... there is a separate home for Z ! )

Is this normal.......... did I miss a config somewhere.......... and if I didn't is there a way to switch the direction of movement of Z and also get the home icon to actual home?

#1 Old_Tafr, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

There is an option in the printer profile in Octoprint to invert the axis direction. If you go to Settings -> Printer Profiles and edit your current profile, next to each axis there is a 'Invert control' checkbox, make sure it is checked for the Z axis.

Old_Tafr likes this.
  3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Thanks...... :)

If anyone tries this It takes a reboot of the printer to take effect