My first successful Cyclops 2 color print

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by mhackney, Dec 7, 2015.

1. mhackney

mhackney Well-Known Member

Here's my first two color print from the E3D Cyclops driven by two BondTech QR extruders. Up until I got the QR extruders last week, I was unable to get a complete print (using modified, geared stepper ezStruders). These photos are a testament to two great pieces of kit: the E3D Online Cyclops hot end and the BondTech QR extruder.

For this print I took a guess at slicing parameters. I couldn't be happier with a first effort. This bronze colored PLA filament is very picky - it shows every extrusion flaw (something to do with its reflectivity I think). The part in hand looks fantastic. FullSizeRender-7.jpg

FullSizeRender-5-1.jpg

I used KISSslicer on this print with these settings:

KISSslicer 1.5 beta 2.20 on OS X printer on a Lulzpot Taz 4 printer with a Cyclops hot end and two BondTech QR extruders. 1.75mm PLA filament. Here's the basics:

.2mm layers
    .4mm extrusion width (.4mm nozzle)
    3 loops/perimeters printed inside to outside
    .6mm skin
    33% straight infill
    3mm prime and suck (retract)at 25mm/s
    5mm wipe
    205°C temp / 55°C heated bed on PEI print surface
    Printed at 40mm/s, first layer at 22mm/s

No extra retract for filament change since that can cause problems with the Cyclops as I discovered with trying Simplify3D (which by default did 12mm retract and caused the Cyclops to jam after 3 layers every time!).

I think that's it but feel free to ask if I missed something.

mike01hu, Sanjay, Tony Morel and 2 others like this.
  2. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

What about the skirt - do you make that in both colors too? If yes, are the tracks generated automagically by the slicer?

TIA, cheers,

U.

3. mhackney

Good point! I forgot to add that I used the "Wall (all layers)" option which prints a wall around the part and is used to changeover colors. KISS has a setting for this.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nice print!

5. UlrichKliegis

Like an extruded skirt? Pretty material-hungry, I guess. Is a fragmented wall possible there too? Send pix. :)

But it sounds like a clever concept!

6. mhackney

Yes, it is a skirt that encircles the print bottom to top. It's a tradeoff, we want multi color prints with clean color transitions.The current slicers aren't very sophisticated so we have to over compensate to get the results we want. The amount of material isn't that great but the time involved is.

Ideally, we would measure the amount of filament required to change over colors and feed that to the slicer. The slicer would use that to print a column next to the print with, say. 20% extra to insure a clean cut over. We're not talking about a lot of filament for the Cyclops so this would be quite efficient. Kiss has a pillar but it is too small to get a clean transition and it can not be resized.

mike01hu likes this.
  7. UlrichKliegis

Thanks! Helpful information.

Cheers,
    U.