My Kraken is 'cracken!

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by mhackney, Mar 6, 2014.

1. mhackney

mhackney Well-Known Member

I finally decided to stop procrastinating and get 'craken with my Kraken! I'm doing this in steps. Step 1 - get Kraken installed and working with 1 hot end/extrurder. Step 2 - wire second extruder and hot end. Step 3 - swap RAMBo electronics for my new Azteeg X3 Pro which can handle 5 extruders and hot ends out of the box! Step 4 - install extruder/hot ends 3 and 4. The journey has begun with step 1!

I was very impressed with the water cooling setup. Very quiet and VERY effective. I think this is the way of the future. The cold end is, well, cold! No questions. It also seems that the seater cooling is greatly over engineered. I suspect smaller hosing could be used with good results and cut mass and mess. My Kraken Konnector for the SeeMeCNC Rostock Max works perfectly and was a simple print and install. Very pleased with that. I loose a little Z but that is not an issue on this machine. Wiring is the challenge! There will be wires and Bowden tubes everywhere. Need to think that through. Deltas are really "set up" for sets of 3 so dealing with 4 hot ends is a bit more challenge (but worth it)! Here's a video of Kraken making it's very first print:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI11RKB28po

I attempted to add the STP for my Kraken Konnector mount for the SeeMeCNC Rostock Max but we can't post STLs here. You can get it at Thingiverse: Kraken Konnector

Cheers,
    Michael

2. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Good luck with getting it all up and running! You will find out soon that there was no need to procrastinate - its much easier than one may imagine, despite it looking a little intimidating. :)

You may be interested in a Blog post Sanjay and I wrote about our experience of getting it running - http://e3d-online.com/index.php?route=e ... blog_id=20 there is a bit in there about getting the nozzles level. The post is centered around using The Kraken to print "unprintable" objects using breakaway support material.

We actually just received an Azteeg X3 PRO from Roy and will be hooking our Kraken up to it some time later this month, but it sounds like you will beat us to it, so any lessons you learn would be gladly received. :)

Looking forward to hearing more..

Regards,
    Josh

3. mhackney

Thanks Josh. I agree, the Kraken is not intimidating, I just have a ton of other stuff on my plate. I want to get cracken as quickly as possible so I'm pushing forward. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

cheers,
    Michael

4. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Very good job in getting your Kraken up and running.

5. mhackney

Started plugging away at wiring the rest of the hot ends. I'm doing the wiring in pairs with one pair on the left and one on the right. This seems the best way to route on the Rostock. Here's a photo of the right side pair with connectors for the heat cartridges and thermistors (the screw in type):

[​IMG]

The wires are shaped the way they are so they will route up between the pair of delta arms. The right side goes between the Y arms and the left side the X arms. Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

These wires will then collect at the Bowden tubes and be routed up with them. I am waiting for some red spiral wire wrap to hold everything together.

The silicone water cooling tubes require a backbone to keep them from collapsing. I will probably route them up one of the Bowden tubes too. Lots of plumbing and wiring on a Kraken!

6. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

When Mhackney received his Azteeq X3 he indicated that the necessary 2 pin jumper connectors are not included with the
    the X3. You should check your X3 and see if the jumpers are included and if not, purchase the jumpers before you plan to
    install the X3. I found a package of 100 of the jumpers for a good price and purchased those, I'll have a few spares! :)

7. kilodoublemike

At risk of sounding like a noob (i am to bowden at least), what are people using for extruders to the Kraken? I have a printer with direct feed, and i really want a Kraken, but i cant seem to find any extruders. Any suggestions?

8. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

A bowden geared extruder - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:60531 is the one we are going to use on the Deltas.
    I recommend that you search Thingiverse for Bowden Extruder and it will turn up dozens of them and you can choose
    the one you feel would best fit your printer.

9. kilodoublemike

Awesome, I wasnt sure if there were any available for purchase or if you just print one and attach it to a stepper motor. Thank you.

10. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

What kind of printer are you going to put the Kraken on?

11. kilodoublemike

Well i just ordered a RigidBot printer to try it out on. I know the controller included will support at least two hot ends/extruders, but i'm awaiting a response to see if it can do more. If not, i'll just run dual from the Kraken until i decide to upgrade the controller.

12. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

I am not familiar with the RidgidBot but you certainly sound as though you have a handle on what to do.
    Best of luck getting it up and running!

13. kilodoublemike

Much appreciated. Its a new printer that is modular allowing you to increase the build volume with simple hardware increases ie: Rods and belts.