My S3D profile explained

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Alex9779, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok so I see there are now more people using my profiles and got problems or see strange things happen which leads me to this to explain what that profile is really about and what I changed compare to the one provided be E3D or Greg.

What a S3D profile controls
    A profile is used to control how S3D generates code for certain stages of the print.
    Some stage you can influence in detail (start script, tool change, end script, ...) and some only by telling the S3D guidelines (detour setting, cooling strategy, speed settings).

What did I change compare to E3D/Greg
    The majority of work I did was writing fail-safe start and end scripts and setting up the auto configure settings of S3D (that's the drop down boxes for material, quality and extruders).

The start script is designed in a way that you do not have to know the state of the printer when starting a new print. That means it does not matter if the printer was just boot up or how the previous print ended or what you did on the LCD or if you moved the print head by hand.

All it requires is a loaded filament because I cannot control that.

Ok maybe correct steps per mm for the filament, but you can overwrite that in the start and tool change script.

The most things the auto configuration does is when you switch from "Both extruders" to "Extruder 0 only" or "Extruder 1 only".
    Then the start and end scripts are changed and the tool change script is loaded (if you activate "Both extruders) or removed (if you only print with one extruder).

The material settings are generic settings I extracted from my experience and somehow are based on manufacturers recommendations.

Material and quality are somehow a bit combined, you really can't say a setting is only material based the other is quality based.
    If you choose for example a lower layer height then other settings like first layer width has to be adjusted depending of the material.
    For example I found that XT only prints a nice first layer if the first layer is at least 0.1 to 0.15 mm thick.

What all this means for you
    What I wanna say is that my profile is carefully tested to be fail-safe.
    So if your head crash in the side or the back then there is something wrong with your firmware or your endstops because the script does an auto home before it does any other move.
    Every move for "Both Extruders" and "Extruder 0 only" is made with extruder 0 selected so no matter if you got your offset for extruder 1 right or not it should not crash!
    Even for "Extruder 1 only" it should not crash because there the homing is done with extruder 1 selected and then all moves are done with extruder 1 selected. So again no matter if you set the offset this time for extruder 0 right it should not crash
    (I'll make another post to explain how this works and why I do it this way.)

What do I have to take of when printing with the profile?
    First select your material then the quality then which extruders to use.
    Then set the offset in the start script (if applicable) and the step per mm for your filament (for dual print in the tool change too).
    Then change other settings.
    If you switch material, quality or extruder selection start over again (just to be safe)!!!
    Currently the settings which each selection changes are strictly separated.
    • Material selection only changes extrusion settings, retraction, temperatures and cooling
    • Quality selection only changes layer height, first layer settings and infill
    • Extruder selection changes only scripts and skirt settings
    Conclusion
    What works with the original E3D profile and Greg's profile works with mine too.
    If you see some strange movement during the print: this is not fault of my profile, the profile has nothing to do with this.
    Maybe I set a setting to a different value than Greg but if you use set all the settings (extrusion, retraction, cooling, temp, ...) to the same like in a print with Greg's profile the printer does the same. Just the start and end behavior and the preparation you have to do is different.

2. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 I started using your profile yesterday and it have saved me manually editing anything. I have to admit I am still having problems setting different material profiles. I don't like how Simply3d handles this and will have to search their forums to get some clues.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The selection in the profile only gives you some standard values. If you want your own then you have to load the profile, change what you want and save with a new name.
    But this won't change anything on the selection in the drop downs.
    Actually you can't select "ABS" and change everything to be for "PLA" or anything.
    It is just a preselection.

If you want to have own materials in the selection with your values then you have to change it in the profile yourself.

It is quite easy if you understand a bit XML and a bit the logic this works.
    Just open the FFF in a text editor and read it.
    It is not hard to under stand.

Basically the first settings on top are the settings loaded when you load the profile. Those are every settings you can make.
    After that section there are the auto configure sections for materials, quality and extruders.
    Every settings from the upper can be in an auto configure which means that if you choose that preselection then that setting is overwritten.
    Actually when loading a profile S3D loads the values on top, then does a selection of the auto configure you specified also on top and overwrites the settings set in those sections...

4. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Thanks @Alex9779 I'll open the profile in a text editor to see what is happening. I have tried to add materials previously but my settings don't seem to stay linked to that material.

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Will this profile work for a Pro rather than a Dual or is there a mod I can apply to make that so ?

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it will if you select "Extruder 0 only"...