COMPLETE My solution for rattling fan shrouds ...

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Alex9779, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

... is maybe too simple, but I wanted to share :)

I have some self adhesive foam sheets, I cut some small stripes off and put them on the upper end of the fan shroud. They slide a bit into the upper gap of the heat sink but effectively dampen rattling of the shrouds. My left one is already a bit broken and very loose on the heat sink but it still works out.
    On the upper end because I don't know anything about the heat resistance which seems to be pretty low and up there it is not getting really warm.

Here a picture:
    Datei 25.04.16, 00 17 30.jpeg

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I will say once I printed and installed @Spoon Unit 's fan guard, the rattling stopped for me...

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I saw his post and I like the solution, but for adjusting duals I hate it ;)

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I adjust before fitting it. But yeh - I do know what you mean. It's not perfect. Something which was a push-fit over the top would be better. It's a shame that the injection moulded ones weaken so quickly. I tried printing one off, but on it's own there are weaknesses no matter which way you print it. A new printed part would be good.

5. Henry feldman

I figure once I go titan, I will deal with this further...

6. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

FWIW, i had a similar issue with fans for Dglass3D hotends.
    They don't have injection moulded fan shrouds, but printed ones.

They either crack or loosen up sufficiently to start rattling - eventually.

I ended up designing my own and printing them on my SLA printer.
    The design i settled on goes *almost* all the way around the back of the heat sink, with openings on the back and sides for the air.

That way it takes quite a while longer for it to loosen up sufficiently to start rattling.
    Actually, the current batch never did (but i did crack one while trying to take it off).
    They look something like this:

[​IMG]

(the farthermost is the initial FDM iteration, the closest is the latest SLA version)

The problem with this design is - it's not easily printed on an FDM, not because of the geometry, but because of the layers (i.e. built in fault lines).

Another thing i've tried was similar to OP's foam strips, except i used silicone strips and put them under the fan (between the shroud and the fan). That helps with fan vibration, but if the shroud is too loose, won't save you from rattle from x carriage motion.

7. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Nice.

(Also nice to have an SLA!)

I guess with Scaffold one can now FFF print it so the fault lines go in the right direction for strength.

Did anyone try using a bolt?

8. Spoon Unit

@orcinus any chance of uploading that design?

9. orcinus

Yeah, no prob, will upload it as soon as i'm done with work.
    Note that the geometry is different, though, as it was not meant for E3D, but D3D hotends, and for a smaller fan.

If it helps, i can upload the original (messy) solidworks file?

10. Spoon Unit

I'm no pro, so no access to SolidWorks. Ermmm. I could probably rebuild in Fusion 360 easily enough. Perhaps just a few measurements and some renders from different positions?

11. orcinus

Here's an STL:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/download:2370007

If the shape seems bizarre, bear in mind it was designed for a way smaller heatsink, and a fan that's quite a bit taller than the heatsink. That's one part of the reason fan is tilted downwards. The other part is to direct most of the airflow to the lowest fins - that's where most of the heat is, plus, that then gives the opportunity to wrap the clip further around the top fins (because airflow is very low up there anyway).

12. Spoon Unit

13. Henry feldman

OnShape (from the founders of SolidWorks) works great, and up to a limit has a free version. The company is great, and has a community in the forums similar to this one with experts all over the world just waiting to help... I was over in the office actually this week doing some beta-UX testing (I think they like me because I am a fearless noob for CAD - and being a software dev by training can break anything) and they are just great guys who want to make CAD suck less... Plus it is browser and mobile app based (simultaneously actually) so you can be anywhere and fix your models...

mike01hu likes this.
  14. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I love it but the problem with OnShape is that it uses cloud based processing, so is dependent on a decent connection; OK for you city dwellers but a pain in the butt for us rural cowhands o_O where just GPRS is one bar and the telephone line is wet string five miles from the exchange!!! Joking aside, it is a great option, particularly for engineering applications, provided you have a good broadband connection. Also,a real plus is it does not have a huge storage overhead on your ever-shrinking hard drives.

Madeinoz67 likes this.
  15. Henry feldman

What's funny is here in Boston they don't have FiOS (the very high speed fiber from Verizon) and rely on crappy cable the city, while we out in the rural suburbs have very fast fiber (I could only justify symmetric 75mbs but I can pay for up to 500mbs symmetric - and amazingly they always overdeliver). And ironically in the more dense rich inner suburbs they have crappy cell data because of NIMBY for cell towers, while we out more rural have big fast towers nearby. Of course unlike London, you go from city to country pretty quickly here (I can be in town in 15 minutes but will be visiting a working alpaca farm today right near my house, and there was a rooster walking down my street yesterday evening)

mike01hu likes this.
  16. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Thing is in the UK a lot of the last mile phone cabling was laid down in an analogue era....hell some of it is probably over half a century old. It's smoke and mirrors to get broadband down it compared to purpose built cable networks and once you are 5 miles or so out from an exchange and you don't have a fttc enabled cab on the road nearby you are kinda stuck in the world of 1 or 2 mb/s.

Cable is only in cities and larger towns

mike01hu likes this.
  17. Henry feldman

When I've talked with Verizon folks they like fiber as it is cheaper to maintain, but more capital to replace working cables. New neighborhoods get fiber to start.

18. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I was winding up Henry ( @Henry feldman ) because of OnShape! :D But, the cabinet 100m from me is fibre and my copper wires from it deliver 20-38Mb/s down and 11Mb/s up, which is good enough.

19. Spoon Unit

Here on the edge of Norfolk, I'm fortunate to have Virgin Media. 200 down, 12 up.