My ToolChanger keeps dropping tools, Y error?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by John Meacham, Dec 31, 2019.

1. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

So what happens is the carriage doesn't get close enough to the tool so the pin is partially inside the slot, It attempts to rotate and just moves a couple degrees (being blocked by the tool orifice) then pulls back bringing the only barely attached tool with it and the next movement shakes it off revealing a C a few degrees off of pure horizontal.

When performing the alignment, I got to Y243 as the instructions say and the carriage was still two or so millimeters away from being able to engage even if I push the toolholder to the limits of its range

I am wondering if the Y homing mechanism isn't working properly or I am skipping steps. The X seems positioned appropriately.

It would be great if the C axis could detect that it is blocked and signal an error with the current sensing feature of the chip.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

you can change the axis maximum and minimums in the config.g file. also check the pulley grubs screws are tight too.

3. John Meacham

Okay, I was able to fix it by changing the line in the config

M208 X-35:328.5 Y-49:243 Z0:300 C0:500 S0
    to
    M208 X-35:328.5 Y-50:243 Z0:300 C0:500 S0

So the home position moves back a mm so I don't have to edit any of the toolhead scripts. Could this indicate there is something wrong with my XY stage physical calibration or is it within the expected manufacturing variation?

I am happily printing the 3d benchy with T0 and it seems to be working with one issue, The part cooling fan refuses to run at anything other than full speed or off. S255 turns it on full blast and anything lower than 255 shuts it off completely. Any ideas? I have not had a chance to break out the oscilloscope and check the PWM waveform but I'm assuming the pin would be fine since I can turn it off and on fully.

Incidentally, the full blast fan turns 3d benchy into a sailboat, it blew it right off the bed :) That's a nice fan.

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

That adjustment will be fine, I would only be worried if it keeps changing. The downloaded firmware is really only there as a starting point.

I've not had an issue with the fans not having variable speed, however others have reported a similr thing. Have a look on the duet g-code website and look for the M106 command and blip time.

5. centerorbit

centerorbit Member

Hey @Greg Holloway, I'm working on an email to support... but I believe I tracked down the issue with the fans not having variable speed. Turns out there are (at least) two different brands of PCF that are shipping with the v6's. I got 2 of one, and 2 of another.
    • The one with the white/silver sticker GDSTIME (24v, 0.05A) works flawlessly with PWM, both tools have had no issues.
    • The other brand, with the blue sticker Xinyujie (24v, 0.15A) will not work with PWM.
    I've tried a whole slew of different commands to try and fix this, but it looks like it's just a no-go:

M106 P2 S255
    * Results in full-on

M106 P2 S120 B1 F20000
    * Results in overall high speeds, and can't seem to idle the fan down below 80% power. (even at a very low S value)

M106 P2 S120 B1 F5
    * Results in the fan being able to run at slower speeds, but the speed is unstable, making a "woosh, woosh, woosh" rhythm as it spins up and down while on.

#5 centerorbit, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Nibbels likes this.
  6. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

None of my 4 fans work with variable speed and they all got the blue sticker. I think you’re on to something here.

7. John Meacham

I just checked, my non working fans have the blue sticker. (I didn't get any white/silver ones try)

I have been using the higher PWM frequency to give some control, but it isn't perfect and there are not enough ports for all the tools on the main board.

Do the fans have different mounting holes sizes by chance? The provided screws didn't fit in my fan.

8. centerorbit

centerorbit Member

@John Meacham, to the best of my knowledge, they are the same dimension. I didn't notice the fans were different at all during assembly, only once I was troubleshooting because 2 of the 4 weren't working properly.

9. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member