New dual hybrid titan commissioning issues

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by ldaponte, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

Observations:

After following the procedure to adjust z-axis with offset, moving the ir sensor and using 5cm of belt, the print head is still about 5mm from the surface after auto home.

As move the print head from left to right, the distance between the print head and the glass changes by about 1mm even after auto leveling.

One print head is lower than the other by about 1mm - do I need to loosen the grub screws and pull the heat sink out of the print head printed part a little? I assume when I tighten the grub screws again, the print heads will be snugged up and one will be shorter again - haven't tried it yet.

After auto home, Y is at 100 and X is at 175. Expected X to be at 150 but maybe this is for single print head system.

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

This appears to have become my standard question :) What firmware version are you on, RC6? And if you have a fw with Mesh Bed Leveling enabled?

If so the bed levling in the menus will set the correct offset.

3. ldaponte

I've been reading through this forum and see that I probably need to flash the Rumba which I'll do tonight. What is fw? This is a BB dual hybrid Titan just assembled and starting the commissioning. I haven't seen a reference to mesh bed leveling.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Home position is 150,100 for the sensor not for a nozzle... On a Hybrid Dual your left nozzle is the main the sensor offset is X-25 so the left nozzle will end up at X175

ldaponte likes this.
  5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW on a single head the X position will be even more because the offset from the right nozzle is X-65 so X on the display will be 215...

6. ldaponte

When I start up the printer, the display says 1.1.0 RC6

7. ldaponte

I understand there is a feature called mesh leveling but I don't see this feature on the printer control panel. I've downloaded the file marlin_hybrid_dual.hex from https://github.com/BigBox3D/Firmware (is this RC6?) thinking the mesh feature may be here but I was unable to flash the rumba using the octopi firmware updater. I also noticed that when I use the octopi web interface control feature with the web cam view, when I click down on the z-axis button, the bed goes up so I think I have a backwards z-axis motor cable? That may also explain why, when I select auto level, the bed runs into the print heads and grinds although the auto home is working - maybe z-axis motor is ok and it's something else.

#7 ldaponte, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  8. Stian Indal Haugseth

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes "Geek" is what is meant for others...

10. ldaponte

Thanks, I think my failure to upload the hex file from octiprint to the rumba was due to my not having installed AVR Dude on the Pi. Will find out tonight.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  11. Stian Indal Haugseth

And remember to disconnect OctoPrint from rumba before trying flash.

12. ldaponte

I read that in the manual and was confused by it. Doesn't the hex file end up on the Rumba via the octoprint?

13. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

Not disconnect the cable, just click disconnect in the octoprint left menu.

14. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

In other words, log off from the Octoprint web interface.

15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Not sure the Octoprint plug in works logged off.

16. ldaponte

installed avrdude on the octoprint and added path to firmware updater. Verified avrdude was at this path from ssh session. Downloaded hex file Marlin.RC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL.hex from https://jenkins.alitecs.de/job/BigBox_Geek/branch/BigBox%2FDual%2FRC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL/?
    plugin eventually shows a firmware updated successfully.

Now, when I run auto home from the printer menu, the print head runs into the bed and grinds away until I shot off power. When I use the printer front panel and try to move the z-axis the front panel looks like the BB reboots and redisplays the info screen.

17. ldaponte

It seems like the printer flashed since instead of the info screen on the printer panel saying 1.1 it now says "Dual". Level feature also runs the print head until the bed and continues to jam into the bed into power off. x and y movement seem fine. How can I tell if the Z-Axis is wired correctly and is moving in the right direction? Also, now that I've flashed, the front panel seems to reboot and the info screen displays again at random times - this did not happen on the firmware that shipped on the board.

#17 ldaponte, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  18. ldaponte

Here is a video showing the z-axis issue, watch as I click the buttons in octoprint and the movement of the z-axis - is this correct? The last bit I start an auto home from the printer panel - end of video shows bed moving up and then jamming on the print heads.

19. ldaponte

Tried flashing another version of marlin hybrid dual and writing hex file started timing out at 98%. Now when I turn on the printer, the printer control panel lights up but is blank (blue screen)

upload_2016-8-26_0-20-21.png

20. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

@ldaponte

I don't know if it matters, but I see from your printscreen that the hex file has been auto-detected as raw-binary.

See the command I use below and has always worked for me. The format is set to ':i' - Intel hex.

/usr/bin/avrdude -v -p m2560 -c wiring -P /dev/ttyACM0 -U flash:w:/home/pi/.octoprint/data/bigboxfirmware/tmp/Marlin.hex:i -D