New dual hybrid titan commissioning issues

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by ldaponte, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on how to bring my Rumba back to life? Do I need to get my AVR programmer and install a boot loader? Is there an official procedure for doing this?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I have not had any problem with flashing before but you might have to do that yes.

But thinking about your homing issues you have to verify that the Z probe triggers correctly. Did you see the red led? I believe M119 shows the status of the endstops. Put something under the probe and verify it triggers.

3. ldaponte

After calibrating the z-axis the auto home was returning the print head to where I had set the print head bed gap and I could see the red led on the probe light red at that moment so I think this is working.

Based on the video I posted, is the z-axis moving in the correct direction based on the octoprint control buttons pushed? It seemed backwards to me that the down button would move the bed up but maybe this is relative to the print head getting closer to that bed?

4. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

Mine was the same with z-axis going oposite of the buttons, this can be changed in the octoprint profile settings.

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Remember that the regular convention is that the head is moved up when you click up. So in our case when you raise Z you lower the bed. Just get used to that because the coordinates also work like that. Z300 is bed at the bottom and Z0 is bed at the top.

Maybe lower the Z probe to get it to trigger earlier?

Any progress on the FW?

6. ldaponte

YYAAA! Unbricked the BB just a few minutes ago and feeling like I'm finally learning something. Used Atmel Studio with an Atmel ICE (what I had) and ISP and burned the boot loader from the RepRap site and then used XLoader to flash https://jenkins.alitecs.de/job/BigB...fact/buildroot/Marlin.RC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL.hex

Printer control panel working again and so is Octoprint - now to get the z probe to stop the bed on auto level and bed level.

7. ldaponte

Ok, z probe working on auto home, now working on MBL, after I'm done, I get: Err Too far! I notice that during the MBL, when the nozzle is on the left side of the bed, the z probe is no longer over the glass bed so the red light is out - is this affecting my MBL? I read in another post someone relocated the z probe to the right and some mention of z level madness. Any guidance greatly appreciated on this MBL.

#27 ldaponte, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The IR has nothing to do with MBL...
    IR is just the Z endstop...

ldaponte likes this.
  9. Stian Indal Haugseth

MBL is quite simple just use a piece of paper to feel for the resistance is just right. Sounds like you have done this successfully?

If you IR (Z) probe is off the bed when auto home something needs to change. When my left extruder nozzle is at XY 0 then the IR hits the bed. Either you need to adjust something or have auto home move to XY centre before homing Z.

10. ldaponte

still working on MBL - the back of the bed is much lower than the front so I'm going back in the commissioning process to see if I can get the bed more level before running the MBL. As it is now, when I get the front level and start on the back of the bed, I have to adjust so far up that the lead screws are out as far as they can go.

11. ldaponte

Ok, measuring from the base of the BB to the top of the z base it is level all the way around so I think the y-axis rails are slanting up towards the rear of the printer thus lifting the heads as it travels back on the y axis. Now trying to measure and fix this.

12. ldaponte

Taking measurements of the width between the two sides of the printer in the rear (54.7cm) and the two sides of the printer in the front (54.4cm) it is out of square and I think this is causing the two y-axis rails to spread apart. Ideas? Is there a way to compensate for this?

13. ldaponte

14. ldaponte

That was it - using standoffs to get it close then MBL. On to extruder calibration.

15. ldaponte

Used MBL to set to just allow a piece of note book paper to slide under at all points. I then do an auto home and start printing the benchy and when the print head starts printing it starts with the print head too far from the bed (farther than MBL was set) and no material is being extruded. If I use the control panel to extrude then the material comes out the nozzle. What could the trouble be? I've disconnected the RPi USB cable from the Rumba but no difference.

#35 ldaponte, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  16. ldaponte

What would cause the print to start a few mm higher than the home z-axis height or any of the leveling heights?

17. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

What happens if you reboot the machine, do an autohome but don't do an MBL and then try to print? Does it still start 2mm above the bed?

18. ldaponte

Power off and on and then auto home still starts print too high. Here is a video. This is the benchy file under the dual folder that came on the sd card with the printer.

19. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmm, it's like it drops the bed to move the head to the dock but then doesn't raise it again. I can't remember what actually causes my printer to do this when I print. Have you tried a freshly sliced file that you've made?

20. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Attached is a basic file of a cube with all the scripting removed. Run the MBL and then print. If that doesn't work do an autohome without an MBL.

Attached Files: