New dual hybrid titan commissioning issues

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by ldaponte, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

As I'm new to 3D printing I have not tried to create my own work yet, will give it a try. Having a known good file to calibrate would be nice.

2. ldaponte

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions tonight.

3. ldaponte

Thanks for the cube.gcode - both MBL and no MBL prior to auto home and print - print still starts way to high off the bed.

4. ldaponte

Have followed your recommendations above and the same issue persists. I can confirm the front panel of the printer says nozzle 1 is at 210c and the bed is at 70c printing PLA but the octoprint terminal is complaining of cold extrusion prevented. Octoprint says nozzle is at 31c but the printer front panel says 210. For the first few seconds material is bubbling out of nozzle 1. Octoprint referes to nozzles 0 and 1 and the front panel refers to them as nozzles 1 and 2. I'm talking about the first or left most nozzle if that makes any sense.

upload_2016-9-3_12-6-2.png

#44 ldaponte, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

The left nozzle (bowden) should be T0 (1) and the right nozzle (direct) should be T1 (2), if things are the wrong way round you won't get any extrusion as it will be below the 170 degree safe extrusion temperature.

6. ldaponte

Confirmed that T0 and T1 are wired to the correct Rumba board extruder connectors.
    Observed the following:
    • Set T0 temperature to 210c and bed to 70c
    • Measured T0 at 203c (meat thermometer probably not accurate)
    • Octoprint shows T0 temperature at 210c and held for 5 min.
    • The printer's front display showed T0 at 210c as well.
    • Started cube print job.
    • Octoprint showed a dramatic temperature drop of T0 from 210c to 31c immediately
    • Printer's front display continued to show 210c
    • Took another measurement with thermometer and it displayed 203c
    • Octoprint terminal showed error message "cold extrusion prevented"
    I've attached the terminal output from the octopi that shows the cube print.

I unplugged the Octoprint from the Rumba and rebooted the printer - same issue, print starts too far above bed and nothing extruded.

Why does the printer front panel show 210c but the rest of the Rumba think the target temp is 0 and the current nozzle temp is room temperature?

upload_2016-9-4_15-29-18.png

upload_2016-9-4_15-45-11.png

Attached Files:

7. ldaponte

I've just upgraded to https://github.com/tohara/Marlin.git and auto leveling seems to be working now so maybe no need for the MBL feature -won't know until I can print. The problem of the print starting too high is now gone, printing now seems to start right near the bed surface. The cold extrusion problem still persists even though the nozzle T0 is at 210c, Octoprint thinks nozzle T0 is at room temp and front panel continues to read 210c.

8. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

When you are printing the benchy and cube the code is set to use T1, the right extruder. Heat up T1 and see what happens.

Double check the correct blocks are heating up by setting the temperature to ~80 and see if they get warm.

The issue with the printhead being too high could have been settings written to the EEPROM being recalled.

M710 will reset the EEPROM | http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M710:_Erase_the_EEPROM_and_reset_the_board

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Does M710 work? I note it says for bq-Marlin and last night I kept having issues when flashing of my z-steps being 1600 but the firmware had 400. an M502 then M500 corrected the issue.

10. ldaponte

Ok - thanks for all your efforts - I have some progress to report.

Greg, I had filament in the left extruder and none in the right and I think I finally understand that T1 is the right and T0 is the left and was hung up on the numbering on the front panel being 1 left and 2 right. since (I thought) I had calibrated T0 extruder I changed the tool in the cube gcode to use T0 intead of T1 so now the cold extrusion messages are gone and I printed a few layers of the cube. After about a minute of printing I hear the titan clicking so I assumed this means its feeding to quickly. I did go through the calibration to measure the uptake of filament but it must need a lot of tweaking. I've changed the esteps/mm from 417 to 408 but its still clicking. I'm using Default Hybrid-Dual RC7 from https://github.com/tohara/Marlin.git. Auto leveling goes through the motions and seems to work but based on what I'm seeing as it prints, the nozzle seems to be too low on the first layer or two and pushing the material out of the way as it moves. Also, the z movement as it changes print levels seems to increase too much and after a couple of minutes the extruded material is being drug around the bed from a height. I am using the UHU glue stick. hot end is at 210c and bed at 70c. I also noticed that when the hot end reached 210c material started extruding even though I hadn't started printing yet. I lowered the temp to 170 and increased the esteps and things look a little better but at about layer 4 of this cube the z position is too high. I'm using PLA from E3D.

attempt 1

upload_2016-9-5_22-27-30.png

attempt 5

upload_2016-9-5_23-7-54.png

#50 ldaponte, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  11. ldaponte

I haven't tried it. I imagine my eeprom settings are not right by a long-shot and I'm not sure the defaults would be correct either. I'm using a E3D factory Tital Dual Hybrid v1.1

FullSizeRender.jpg

12. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

What are your steps per mm for Z? Do you have the 8mm Pitch or 2mm pitch leadscrews?

The plastic coming out on its own is oozing, that is perfectly normal. Don't adjust the temperature of the nozzle to stop it! That will cause huge problems when trying to extrude as the plastic won't melt and is likely the cause of your problem.

PLA should be at 220 with the bed at 60.

13. ldaponte

I have the newer 8mm pitch (4 hole mount). Z steps are set to 1600. Since sommissiining this changed due to loading new software on the rumba. Should be 400?

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

15. ldaponte

Is there a configuration setting where I can adjust the z starting position to adjust the height above the bed without having to adjust the optical bed sensor height?

16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you using auto-bed levelling or mesh?

17. ldaponte

With RC7 I lost mesh leveling so am now using auto. I understand I might be able to change this in configuration.h but have been unsuccessful.

18. ldaponte

19. ldaponte

Thank you forum!

IMG_6073.JPG

markoaurelije and PsyVision like this.
  20. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member