New dual hybrid titan commissioning issues

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by ldaponte, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

Started testing the other nozzle so loaded E3D ABS this time and set it for 240c and bed at 120c. printing cube this time. Extruder is grinding the filament after a few seconds of printing. Print quality guide says either too aggressive retraction, printing too fast, or temperature too low. I thought I'd try printing slower - is there a setting for this on the front panel? There is an FR icon that is always set to 100% and Octoprint has a flow and feed rate setting. Also, I'm getting over temp shutdowns now and temp jumps from 240c to 300c. After cooldown for many minutes the nozzle would not cool below 103c but power cycle of the printer and then the temp immediately read 26c which is about room temp here.
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

2. ldaponte

Changing Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER does not seem to have an impact on the distance between the bed and the nozzle. There must be a way to enter some sort of z offset.

Also getting max temp shutdown error when the hot ends are at room temperature - this happens during an auto home. Running Default Hybrid-Dual RC7 from https://github.com/tohara/Marlin.git

#62 ldaponte, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

To set the z-offset for an ABL firmware you want to follow the manual where it sets a z-offset: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Printer_Commissioning#.284.2.1.29_Pro_.26_All_Hybrid_Extruders

The Marlin you've linked to has no configuration set for the BigBox, e.g.:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_3 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 0

Whereas the BigBox should have 20 for the TEMP_SENSOR for the PT100. I would suggest picking one from here:

https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin

Look at the branches and pick one that begins BigBox/ and fits your profile, e.g.:

https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin/tree/BigBox/Dual/RC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL

This is the hybrid Dual BigBox running Titans and uses Mesh Bed Levelling which I think is better than the Auto Bed Levelling that you've been using to date.

4. ldaponte

Ok, I've flashed the https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin/tree/BigBox/Dual/RC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL and now the auto home is broken. Hitting auto home now sends the x axis all the way to the left and leaves it there so when the z home runs, the bed sensor is not over the bed so the bed runs into toe nozzle. Before this build the x and y home where somewhere near the center of the bed so this didn't happen.

See photo - the bed sensor is not over the bed. The x stop adjustment was working fine for the other firmware - do I need to readjust the x stop? I'd have to add a much longer bolt. Hoping there is a #define or some setting in the software I can use to fix this.

#64 ldaponte, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  5. ldaponte

Photo shows the point where x home finished, bed sensor is not over the bed and the z home is running and the bed crashes into the nozzles.

upload_2016-9-11_12-58-44.png

Attached Files:

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

What coordinates shows the LCD?

7. ldaponte

Hi Alex, 0, 0, 0

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Very strange, even if there would be a calculation bug, none of the values would give 0,0,0 in any combination...
    Will have to check myself but this will be tonight earliest...

9. ldaponte

I somehow doubt there is a bug this large unless it doesn't take into account the physical build of the big box and where the bed sensor is in relationship to the nozzle. Its more that I don't know what I'm doing (you can fix stupid - me) So, what I observe is that on the previous firmware I was using, the x and y reach their respective end-stop switches ok and x and y then end up at lower left (somewhere near 0,0) and then x,y move to center of bed and the z home runs and because the bed sensor is now well over the bed the z home works. The difference i notice with this firmware is that x,y do not move to the center before z home runs. Please excuse my 3D printer terminology.

10. ldaponte

Here is a video showing the complete auto home sequence and front panel display:

11. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

OMG - I was watching that thinking - "I hope he's going to turn this off quickly". That grinding noise bought tears to me eyes. If that's happening, stop it fast - real fast. Off button at the back or make a hole to hit the reset button under the LCD.

It looks as if your Z_SAFE stuff is just not set correctly. These are the values I'm using for safe home where the left nozzle sits above (35,10):

chrome_2016-09-11_15-41-41.png
    chrome_2016-09-11_15-40-04.png
    chrome_2016-09-11_15-42-32.png

I might not have this all absolutely right, but here's how I understand this in my head.

The Z probe is the thing I want to control. It's 25mm left of the nozzle. When the head hits the X endstop, the position will be -38. So, having got there, the head will need to move 38 right to get the nozzle to the edge of the bed, then a further 25 to get the probe to the edge of the bed, and finally a further 10 for good measure.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah well what are you using exactly? The firmware of the branch you mentioned with out additional defines in the profile? That way it should work... I think some orhers used that branch and the precompiled image which was made from that branch...

13. ldaponte

Finally back to this printer - has been idle since Sept 11 due to unknown calibration and print issues. I assume but can't really verify that there is an official Marlin build that works with my printer. It's a stock Hybrid Titan Dual BB. So, where do I get the most stable known to work version for this BB model? Has the Marlin software evolved since Sept?

Thanks

-Larry

14. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Im still running rc6 and I'm happy with it, ok I tweaked it a little but had no urge to update to RC7
    https://github.com/BigBox3D/Marlin/releases

After flashing make sure to do the "Restore Failsafe" on LCM to be sure all old values are gone.
    Not sure if you have to save them to memory on LCD but it will not harm.

Sorry but I did not read the complete thread... but from that video it feels like the"Z_Save_homing" is not enable in configuration.h
    mine is around line 678
    Code:
    #define Z_SAFE_HOMING

#if ENABLED(Z_SAFE_HOMING)
      #define Z_SAFE_HOMING_X_POINT (30)    // X point for Z homing when homing all axis (G28).
      #define Z_SAFE_HOMING_Y_POINT (30)    // Y point for Z homing when homing all axis (G28).
    #endif