New e3d V6 and still Jamming

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by AMJ, Jun 6, 2017.

1. AMJ

AMJ Member

Hi, I got a new E3D V6 to help with Jamming issues on my Anycubic Kossel and can print nice 20 x 20 x 10 test cubes, but anything bigger Im seeing jams.

I've been through a lot of forums and pages, tried many different settings and still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Can you provide photographs of the hot end from multiple angles ensuring we can clearly see the heater block and heatsink.

What filament are you using and what settings are you using?

3. AMJ

AMJ Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I have been playing around and managed to identify that the extruder isn't blocked. If I remove the tube from the top of the extruder, and push the filament straight through, it goes through easily. I think the problem is with the filament feeding motor. When I release the pinch roller and push the filament through the tube it takes a huge amount of force to get it to flow out the nozzle. Below are 2 photos showing printing the same file. The first one has failed and shows flow issues. The second shows the result of me pushing the filament below the extrusion motor.

Attached Files:

4. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Can you post a photo showing the hotend please. I want to check it has been assembled correctly.

I need to check specifically the heater block and heatsink.

5. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

6. AMJ

AMJ Member

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I have been doing a lot of trouble shooting.

I am fairly sure the extruder is working well. I can push the filament through from below the filament motor and it comes out the nozzle fairly easily.

I have levelled the bed so I am getting a nice clean first layer and getting extrusion problems as the print proceeds.

I have included photos below showing my extruder mount. Im using the mount that comes with the anycubic and a block I printed to compensate for the fact that the E3D is shorter. I also added a washer at the base of the anycubic mount as the heat sink on the stock extruder is bigger and the E3D wouldn't seat in the recess. The heat sink is seated firmly on this washer which and the heating block is clear of the mount when screwed firm.

I have included some photos below where you can see there is slight under extrusion at the beginning of the print and sever under extrusion as the print progresses. I am having some clicking from the extruder motor.

Im really not sure what the problem is. I don't think the extruder motor has the force to push the filament through the extruder. Is this a possibility?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

It is a possibility but unlikely that it can't push it through.

How is the heatsink cooled?

8. AMJ

AMJ Member

Hi Greg,

Thanks, This photo was showing the setup before attaching the fan on the front. I'm confident that the extruder is working well. I took is apart completely last night and there was no sings of PLA above the heat break. I can push it through the extrude very easily and pushing from below the filament motor requires more force but I can get a clean stream coming out.

Here is a video I made last night. When the print started, it was laying down nice lines for the first 3-4 layers with only occasional clicks coming from the filament motor, then I started to get this problem more frequently and it started under extruding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhd920t43gxigjb/IMG_3274.m4v?dl=0

Thanks again.

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

That fan duct you're using doesn't seem like it will put much airflow over the bottom fins, which are most important. Would recommend using E3D factory duct.

What are your retraction settings? Have you tried a print with zero retraction?

10. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

If the heat block is tight against that washer in image 3247 that's going to transfer even more heat into the cooling fins.

11. AMJ

AMJ Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I've solved the issue. I found from the manufacturer that the voltage on the motor driver boards should be 0.75-1V. All of mine were 0.6V. I upped the voltage for the filament motor to 1.18V and this seems to have solved the problem!

Kanedias, the heat block is hanging about 2-3mm below the washer so, while not an ideal setup, I think its ok.

Elmoret, I'd love to use the factory fan on the bottom of the heat sink, but using the any cubic extruder mount doesn't really allow this. Do you know of an alternative for this piece?

Nyx likes this.
  12. GaryWA

GaryWA Member

Is there supposed to be a gap between the heater block and heat sink? I have screwed mine tight together thinking that is how it is done. Subsequently the heat sink is very hot to touch at all times and filament jams very quickly. I notice dwg V6-300-B-ASSM shows a 4mm gap from the underside of the fan to the heatsink. Is this correct? Your confirmation will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

13. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Yes there should be a gap between the heater block and the heatsink. That is almost certainly going to cause overheating issues in my opinion. See the assembly instructions here https://wiki.e3d-online.com/index.php?title=E3D-v6_Assembly#Assembly_Steps

Hope that helps

14. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Yes there should be a gap, read the documentation on assembly....

https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/V6+Assembly/6?lang=en