new firmware release

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by R Design, Mar 25, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought Josh/E3D would have bothered updating and testing against every RC probably only at each release, and then only if there is a tangible benefit. Though I think possibly the only differences between the native Marlin and the "official" BB release is in configuration.h. So perhaps you should just try it but with the BB copy of configuration.h and see how you get on.

The way the arduino updates work it is very unlikely you can brick your board, the bit of code on the chip that allows updates over USB isn't touched by the Arduino update process so it should always be possible to perform another update to revert to the official version even if the version you uploaded is completely broken.

Just watch the printer for odd behaviour like thermal runaways and head crashes on the first few prints and you should be fine.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

There's quite a bit of good fixes in this RC actually which makes it very worthwhile, especially all those LCD controller updates.

5. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Thanks @Dr Jeep. With your encouragement I'll perhaps look into it in a couple of days.

It's funny you should mention "thermal runaway". I fitted the Volcano with 0.6mm nozzle last night and so far can't get the fan above 25% (XT with a 260C nozzle). It seems that the volcano block's large vertical face is square in the wind from the parts fan.... But perhaps I can get the fan a bit lower.....? (It also makes me wonder if Richrap's kapton tape (see G+ post by him) was more for that than wrapping the steel nozzle...)

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@R Design @Dr Jeep Sorry guys but you have to do more than just use the Configuration.h from the official firmware release repo.
    Configuration_adv.h, Default_Version.h, pins_RUMBA.h too.
    But there have been some changes to the config files. I do not know if the firmware compiles if you just use the files.

No guarantee but I am printing with the firmware from my repo and didn't have any issues yet.
    I rebuild the BigBox Dual config by hand into that RCBugFix and the new RC merged only with marginal issues into it.

I can recommend it for dual users because you won't need any gcode to fix the rotation direction of the second extruder.
    While I think that the move Z axis from the LCD is not better than before. Before it jumped if you dial to high values, now it just stays at a high value even if you turn the wheel and starts getting higher when getting close to that value... It may be related to how that commands are executed but this is far from user friendly...