New Linear Advance Extrusion Algorithm - significant print quality increases.

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by moshen, Aug 5, 2016.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

OK, thanks!

My initial interest was to see why the rotary encoder seemed noisy. From what I can tell, reading the encoder bits (in Ultralcd.cpp) does not do any debouncing of the mechanical rotary encoder, it just looks for a change in state and reports it as a rotation in either the CW or CCW direction.

2. W1EBR.Gene

I am a little stunned! I loaded Marlin RC7 base and used it with the Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h from one of the builds created for a Dual Hybrid Titan (which is based on RC6) and it compiled without any errors! This seems way too good to be true, so I suspect I am missing something :) It wasn't anywhere near that easy to make a version of Marlin firmware for the Makibox A6, so I am suspicious...
    What am I missing?
    Thanks!

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

You updated the pins file for rumba? Thought it should not affect compilation success :)

4. W1EBR.Gene

I did not, however I read that as of Marlin 1.0.0 the pin definition matched the required pin definition. I will also say that my compiled firmware does not work yet, so I decided to step back and make a couple of simple changes to the Hybrid Dual release firmware to build learning and confidence. One thing that surprised me was that the y axis steps/mm needed to be doubled due to the 0.9 degrees per step motor... I must have missed that in the build instructions.

Fwiw, I got a set of DRV8825 drivers and I think running the x axis at 32 microsteps and everything else at 16 might make the most sense out of the set of possibilities because that brings the x axis to 320 steps/mm, which is close to the y axis (360) and the z axis (400) in resolution.

Any thoughts?

Gene

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The thing with the PINs is not true. The BigBox uses different PINs for the extruder temperature sensors because we use PT100 with the amplifier boards which are not connected to the normal thermistor PINs...

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Strange that you see delays at the lower baud Alex, printing from octoprint I do not, even at 4500mm/min and lots of moves. The only pause I get is if I enable the blip fan option in S3D

7. W1EBR.Gene

Thanks, Alex! I sorted that out and am now trying my first print with RC7 and adv_lin (Dual Hybrid Titan). I suspect that I am still having some initial mechanical issues because shippy's hull does not print smoothly yet. Once I get a good baseline for performance I'll show what I have found.

fwiw, one thing I changed was the control knob such that turning it clockwise now increases whatever number is being incremented. Clockwise still moves down the menu items.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well at least I saw the print head pausing and stuttering... No idea, with the normal firmware it didn't do that on the same file...

That is normal and you should not activate that option -> https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/s3d-cooling-options-blip-fans-option.782/

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think I've observed any pausing and I've been using LIN_ADVANCE. I did a 12 hour print last night with K50 via Octoprint and it's a beauty. The only time I've seen it is when printing directly from S3D on my laptop and my laptop was busy with other tasks.

https://twitter.com/psyvision/status/778472145701613568

10. W1EBR.Gene

What are the microstep step settings you are using?

11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Whatever the bigbox is on by default.

12. W1EBR.Gene

Yes, I did update the pins in the pins_RUMBA file. I had advanced_lin enabled but printed several objects on the bed at once last night and the quality varied depending on the location on the bed, so I have more basic issues to resolve first.