New molex connector design for quick toolhead change

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Rob Heinzonly, May 14, 2020.

1. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Due to the Covid-19 lockout I was busy the last weeks. I'm working from home, but have plenty of time to do other things as well. Furthermore, I expected that my employer would ask me to print Covid-19 related tools for my colleagues. And for this I needed another tool head, the E3D Volcano. It has been sitting in my drawer since I dismantled my Bigbox, so it was time to dust it off.

Since soldering all the wires to yet another tool head is a hell of a job, I've decided to finally finish my Molex project. And here it is.

For this design I used the Molex parts mentioned below (with PCB headers). This saves you from having to buy a crimping tool and having to crimp the wires yourself.

As this design fits in the TC_Receiver part from E3D, there is little extra space required. This design can be used for the standard bowden toolheads and the Hemera toolheads.

Molex parts needed:
    Molex Female --> Part no: 45280-0801
    Molex Male --> Part no: 44769-0801

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These parts are available for download on Thingiverse (thing:4362376).

W1EBR.Gene, Ntesla66, yngndrw and 7 others like this.
  2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Very nice work!

3. Todd Spurgeon

Todd Spurgeon Member

Just downloaded, thanks for sharing this. I am working from home as well and plan incorporate this into the update of my frame for Direct Drive.
    I can't thank you enough for sharing the step files.

4. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Hi @Rob Heinzonly , I just made the parts also. The "male holder" does not have any hole(s) that line up with "top plate" and "cable holder" holes that keep the connectors mated. Is a screw supposed to go through the "top plate" and "cable holder" and just push against the "male holder" ?
    Gene

#4 W1EBR.Gene, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@W1EBR.Gene : the "male holder" lines up with the "male holder - cable holder". They need to be fixed by two screws (back and front). The "top plate holder" lines up with the "male holder - cable holder", and you need one screw to keep the molex - male connector fixed with the female connector.